Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #42

Saw the final episode of Halo. I...liked -ish-it (XD) Very uneven season, but it ultimately fell on the scale of, "Okay, I kinda like this". They had some really stupid parts still, but nothing nearly as bad as last season, and I think they've secured what they wanted; a springboard to tell the games. 

It ends with all the Spartan teams dead, the UNSC scattered on Halo, and Master Cheeks fully armored up (finally) and entering a forerunner building with Guilty Spark, so it's setting up the events of Combat Evolved.

Oh and a Flood Outbreak happened early on; and it's actually pretty scary, and did the live action Flood sequence I've already wanted justice. It showed only stage 0 infection forms (as well as a small glimpse of combat form) but it's really awesome. 

16 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I think they've secured what they wanted; a springboard to tell the games. 

If it takes you until season three to reach the point where you’re ready to start telling the actual story you advertised… there is a problem with your show. XD 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

If it takes you until season three to reach the point where you’re ready to start telling the actual story you advertised… there is a problem with your show. XD 

That's what Microsoft gets for giving their sci fi TV show to fucking showtime XD

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:14 PM, Celan said:

This weekend has been a lesson in the kind of sci fi I don't prefer, which is high-concept low-characterization. The characters in RwR are barely sketched, which is similar to Three Body Problem.

I feel like this is a common problem with sci-fi. Writers are so focused on their high concepts that they create characters as vehicles to explore them rather than to be interesting or enjoyable in their own right.

I’d even say Denis is guilty of this. Nobody remembers The Arrival or Bladerunner 2049 for their compelling casts of characters, and in Dune he benefitted from them being pre-made.

I know GRRM used to write a lot of sci-fi. But he’s a very character-focused author so I’d be interested to one day read a few and see how he does with it.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/timothee-chalamet-warner-bros-deal-wonka-dune-1235952310/

Propelled by him being a space-Islamic terrorist messiah and fucking twink Willie Wonka XD Good for him though, he was great in Part Two. 

Agreed. Well deserved. Speaking of, we never got your full thoughts, @TheCzarsHussar

8 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I feel like this is a common problem with sci-fi. Writers are so focused on their high concepts that they create characters as vehicles to explore them rather than to be interesting or enjoyable in their own right.

I’d even say Denis is guilty of this. Nobody remembers The Arrival or Bladerunner 2049 for their compelling casts of characters, and in Dune he benefitted from them being pre-made.

I know GRRM used to write a lot of sci-fi. But he’s a very character-focused author so I’d be interested to one day read a few and see how he does with it.

I haven't liked anything GRRM wrote except for ASoIaF. 

Fantasy is like this too, indulgent in its world-building and not as much everything else. GRRM started out economical but got bloated later on.

3 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/timothee-chalamet-warner-bros-deal-wonka-dune-1235952310/

Propelled by him being an space-Islamic terrorist messiah and fucking twink Willie Wonka XD Good for him though, he was great in Part Two. 

I'm surprised he signed a deal with one studio. I assume he could have had his pick of a lot of roles.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Celan said:

I haven't liked anything GRRM wrote except for ASoIaF. 

Fantasy is like this too, indulgent in its world-building and not as much everything else. GRRM started out economical but got bloated later on.

You should read Fevre Dream; one of his most unique novels. It's about Vampires on the Mississippi River XD

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Celan said:

Maybe it’s just an issue of what I’ve been exposed to, but I’ve always found sci-fi to be the most prone to this.

This is obviously subjective, but if I try to imagine the first thing that comes to mind in a series, with sci-fi it’ll usually pertain to the world or concept (aliens, the future, consciousness, dystopias, whatever), whereas with fantasy it’ll usually be a character (Bilbo, Elric, Conan, Geralt, Starks and Lannisters, etc.).

Course, I’m just thinking generally. Star Wars started out as very character-centric and the world was built over time to accommodate their stories. And Lord of the Rings (not The Hobbit) very much started as a massive worldbuilding project by Tolkien, though he was a skilled enough writer that this didn’t get in the way of him also making great characters.

The way George writes ASoIaF is very much in the "characters-first" camp. He just happens to also be skilled enough that his focus on them doesn’t come at the detriment of good worldbuilding. I think his problem is that the storylines got too complex for him to manage.

16 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You should read Fevre Dream; one of his most unique novels. It's about Vampires on the Mississippi River XD

As a lifelong Mississippi River-dweller, let me just say that these hissy pricks are not to be toyed with. Almost as bad as the meth heads. 

• Haha 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

As a lifelong Mississippi River-dweller, let me just say that these hissy pricks are not to be toyed with. Almost as bad as the meth heads. 

Probally have non Vampire cousins in Tallie XD

But it's a legit damn good Vampire book, The redneck Vampires only enhance it. 

9 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

For a fantasy that is quite alien and weird in a Kirkbridey sort of way, I’d recommend looking into the Birthgrave Trilogy by Tanith Lee. It’s been a few years since I read the first book, but I enjoyed it. 

I refuse to read any more fantasy. XD Although I've actually been listening to A Game of Thrones on audio book. I watched an Alt Shift X video on "the real Jon Snow" and fuck it all, it reminded me why I loved the books once. 

You really should read some Larry McMurtry. I listened to one of his recently and they're so good, very character focused. No one would write books like these any more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

I watched an Alt Shift X video on "the real Jon Snow"

That’ll make anyone depressed. XD 

There are lots of characters whose best points in the show were just as good as their book counterparts, but Jonny Boy wasn’t one of them. Easily one of the most changed characters in the story, even before the show got bad. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

20240326_190941.thumb.jpg.270703791e6a1583537753109e49deb7.jpg

I got my little sister a Goosebumps collection tin for her birthday last year and she's now obessed with them XD She loved Stay out of the Basement. Will probally buy her another one. 

Good brother. I think there were like fifty Goosebumps books back in the 90s and I read almost all of them, so that title always makes me nostalgic.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

My only reservation is that hers already includes the peak of the series (Werewolf Swanp) so it's all down hill XD (all the way to the stupid garden gnomes.)

Get her Haunted Mask, Welcome to Dead House, Say Cheese and Die, Night of the Living Dummy, and Monster Blood. ;) 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Get her Haunted Mask, Welcome to Dead House, Say Cheese and Die, Night of the Living Dummy, and Monster Blood. ;) 

She asked for Haunted Mask XD

The one I remember the most was the Haunted carnival. 

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I know. I’ve been procrastinating on the Lonesome Dove trilogy for years. Not enough hours in the day for everything I want to do. :/

I hear that. Being captive in my car for 7-8 hours a week has helped me get some listening done.

1 hour ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I got my little sister a Goosebumps collection tin for her birthday last year and she's now obessed with them XD She loved Stay out of the Basement. Will probally buy her another one. 

Get her some classic horror like Edgar Allan Poe. ;) The first books I can remember owning were a collection of Poe and the Complete Sherlock Holmes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

Get her some classic horror like Edgar Allan Poe. ;) The first books I can remember owning were a collection of Poe and the Complete Sherlock Holmes.

It'd probably turn her into the emo kid writing creepy poetry by herself on the playground, but I do intend to introduce some gothic stuff once she's a little older XD 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It'd probably turn her into the emo kid writing creepy poetry by herself on the playground, but I do intend to introduce some gothic stuff once she's a little older XD 

I resemble that. XD 

• Haha 2