Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #42

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Pretty sure that's a callout to every person's first encounter with a yao guai/ deathclaw/ mirelurk.

I remember the first time seeing a mirelurk in my scope and thinking what the FUCK is that. Fallout 3 was so much more menacing than 4. All these candyass new players in Fallout 4 are getting the comic book version of everything. Although one of them on reddit was whining about the raider with a Fat Man in Lexington. XD 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Celan said:

Pretty sure that's a callout to every person's first encounter with a yao guai/ deathclaw/ mirelurk.

I remember the first time seeing a mirelurk in my scope and thinking what the FUCK is that. Fallout 3 was so much more menacing than 4. All these candyass new players in Fallout 4 are getting the comic book version of everything. Although one of them on reddit was whining about the raider with a Fat Man in Lexington. XD 

Ironically, the Fallout 3 design Queen is more pulpy; It's a homage to the Gillman from Universal Monsters XD And yeah, it's a million times more soulful then 4 version's. 

Swamplurk_queen.webp.150c4b7861272c9851d2ec67d512a841.webp

• Like 1

Just now, Celan said:

Fallout 3 was so much more menacing than 4.

Absolutely. The wasteland felt much more hostile and strange.

It didn’t help that Fallout 4 immediately tossed us into a scripted encounter where we get handed free power armor and a minigun and mow down a deathclaw like a badass. Killed all sense of danger or vulnerability out the gate.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Ironically, the Fallout 3 design Queen is more pulpy; It's a homage to the Gillman from Universal Monsters XD And yeah, it's a million times more soulful then the 4 version's. 

I crap on Bethesda Fallout a lot, but I wont fault them for their monster design. They invented lots of cool mutants.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I crap on Bethesda Fallout a lot, but I wont fault them for their monster design. They invented lots of cool mutants.

I'd say they've been slipping since 4 was a pretty big step down, but Far Harbour and Fallout 76 has some really awesome ones, so I think we can chalk 4 up as an irregularity. But I still say artistically 3 was there high point. So filthy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I'd say they've been slipping since 4 was a pretty big step down, but Far Harbour and Fallout 76 has some really awesome ones, so I think we can chalk 4 up as an irregularity. But I still say artistically 3 was there high point. So filthy

Nearly everything in 4 is the low point. Tone, art design, writing quality (until the show). The one thing it’s got going for it is Maxson and the BoS, and amusingly most modern fans hate the BoS in Fallout 4. XD 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Nearly everything in 4 is the low point. Tone, art design, writing quality (until the show). The one thing it’s got going for it is Maxson and the BoS, and amusingly most modern fans hate the BoS in Fallout 4. XD 

If were comparing I think Fallout 3 is elevated by really strong art direction, quest design, and the Fallout 1-esque horror elements. Yeah it's writing aint good, but it's better then 4 in that regard XD 

1 hour ago, Celan said:

:rofl:

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

7 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Here's a good example of a company making a light-hearted jab at their predecessors earlier work; I think this is supposed to be a dig at our favorite edge-lord Spartan XD

VTD10z4.png

Isn't that a tribute to Red vs Blue or another of the old-school Halo rooster teeth things?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If were comparing I think Fallout 3 is elevated by really strong art direction, quest design, and the Fallout 1-esque horror elements. Yeah it's writing aint good, but it's better then 4 in that regard XD 

Fallout 3 has a very solid foundation. Me and Doc have talked to no ends about how it could be fixed. No brotherhood, no Enclave, much much sooner in the timeline, maybe a decade after the bombs, no super mutants.

Fuck, Pitt is strongly on New Vegas levels of quality. Stick everyone involved with that as project leads and you'd have a damn good Fallout 3 that fits perfectly with the old ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Fuck, Pitt is strongly on New Vegas levels of quality. Stick everyone involved with that as project leads and you'd have a damn good Fallout 3 that fits perfectly with the old ones.

The Pitt would be perfect as the East Coast’s dark and twisted foil to Shady Sands. An independent town that grows into an industrial nation, but on the back of raiding and slavery instead of cooperation and agriculture. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

The Pitt would be perfect as the East Coast’s dark and twisted foil to Shady Sands. An independent town that grows into an industrial nation, but on the back of raiding and slavery instead of cooperation and agriculture. 

Honestly if Fallout 3 took place in The Pitt, with the same map size as DC, I'd be so fucking down with that.

In an alternate universe, the Capital Wasteland was the dlc, with two competing factions of US army remnants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Fallout 3 has a very solid foundation. Me and Doc have talked to no ends about how it could be fixed. No brotherhood, no Enclave, much much sooner in the timeline, maybe a decade after the bombs, no super mutants.

I even liked Operation Anchorage, and Point Lookout had great atmosphere and spy stuff. We're not talking FNV quality stories but a lot of fun.

But I gotta disagree with you on the supermutants. One of the best memories I have of FO3 is throwing a nuka grenade into a bunch of supermutants in a hospital and seeing one of them shoot up to the ceiling. XD 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Celan said:

I even liked Operation Anchorage, and Point Lookout had great atmosphere and spy stuff. We're not talking FNV quality stories but a lot of fun.

But I gotta disagree with you on the supermutants. One of the best memories I have of FO3 is throwing a nuka grenade into a bunch of supermutants in a hospital and seeing one of them shoot up to the ceiling. XD 

Oh hell super mutants in 3 are fun to fight, it's just their existence on the east coast that's contrived XD

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Oh hell super mutants in 3 are fun to fight, it's just their existence on the east coast that's contrived XD

That's unfortunately a common thing with Fallout 3. For better or worse, they went with rule of cool.

55 minutes ago, Celan said:

I was going to mention I think the best "this is a zany post-apocalypse" they did was in Point Lookout. It was grounded in alot of pulpy elements (including killer hillbillies and swamp monsters) but had a very consistent theme they kept to, with alot of really good dark atmosphere. Excellent piece of content imo. It's also one of the best usages of Lovecraftian themes that Beth usually likes to throw on without putting much effort into making it work XD

• Like 1

Watched the Fallout show. My thoughts:

I really liked they way they handled the vaults. I felt they handled it better than games did in various ways. Though I give the games the leeway of the vaults being ill suited to shot and loot gameplay.

Jet arms on the power armor, really? I also think it too often detracts from the tank feeling of the armor.

Something about the Brotherhood just feels off. They nailed the aesthetic, but their actions and behavior feels off.

Cold fusion? Couldn't they just have copied the regular fusion plotline of the Institute from Fallout 4?

Where the fuck did Hank get his hands on a nuke to blow up Shady Sands just like that?

Loved all the little references and general tone of the show. Felt very Fallout.

Maximus clearly dumped Charisma. Maxed out Luck though as he keeps succeeding despite utterly failing every speech check.

Lucy was fun all around.

Final battle should have been Brotherhood really decimating the NCR remnants with how much power armor they brought. Or at least they should have given the NCR remnants some plasma weapons.

• Like 2

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

1 hour ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Watched the Fallout show. My thoughts:

Hide contents

I really liked they way they handled the vaults. I felt they handled it better than games did in various ways. Though I give the games the leeway of the vaults being ill suited to shot and loot gameplay.

Jet arms on the power armor, really? I also think it too often detracts from the tank feeling of the armor.

Something about the Brotherhood just feels off. They nailed the aesthetic, but their actions and behavior feels off.

Cold fusion? Couldn't they just have copied the regular fusion plotline of the Institute from Fallout 4?

Where the fuck did Hank get his hands on a nuke to blow up Shady Sands just like that?

Loved all the little references and general tone of the show. Felt very Fallout.

Maximus clearly dumped Charisma. Maxed out Luck though as he keeps succeeding despite utterly failing every speech check.

Lucy was fun all around.

Final battle should have been Brotherhood really decimating the NCR remnants with how much power armor they brought. Or at least they should have given the NCR remnants some plasma weapons.

They pretty much slaughtered them, though the NCR gave a hell of a fight. Only took serious casualties when they went up against Howard.