Soulsborne Thread #10

33 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Though Orphan of Kos is a little weird to me. He's high tier for me too, but the lower end of it. His design is just so repulsive XD And I think his fight is in the weird spot where it's legit great, but dosen't quite stand out. 

Oh, I disagree completely on the fight.

The design was indeed repulsive, as it should’ve been. XD And the actual fight is very well-designed mechanically, and a perfect example of challenging but fair. Every move has unique and memorable visuals that make them easy to read and learn, but are so quick and wild that you still need lots of skill to master surviving them. I found that the progression of "gitting gud" was noticeable with each attempt.

I consider it one of the best fights From has done by far. Nothing cheap or gimmicky about it, no unfairness, just raw challenge.

It’s almost the same for Maria, but she loses a point or two by being too easy to cheese with parry, and not having enough health for the fight to last as long as it deserved to. But this is made up for by how damned fun and beautiful that duel is. Like a ballroom dance.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Oh, I disagree completely on the fight.

The design was indeed repulsive, as it should’ve been. XD And the actual fight is very well-designed mechanically, and a perfect example of challenging but fair. Every move has unique and memorable visuals that make them easy to read and learn, but are so quick and wild that you still need lots of skill to master surviving them. I found that the progression of "gitting gud" was noticeable with each attempt.

I consider it one of the best fights From has done by far. Nothing cheap or gimmicky about it, no unfairness, just raw challenge.

It’s almost the same for Maria, but she loses a point or two by being too easy to cheese with parry, and not having enough health for the fight to last as long as it deserved to. But this is made up for by how damned fun and beautiful that duel is. Like a ballroom dance.

Fair 

WjyFaEf0RSnOFO1dCiOpYHEelL7RPQBCAdNjZ8W2

However, I just didn't connect to the Orphan like I did with Ludwig. It's like a giant aborted baby la creatura. It's a great design and a cool fight, but I think the fallen Knight surpasses it; you fight him as a broken beast, and then you see him reclaim himself as a noble warrior, and get to fight him as the Holy Blade. Everything, the design, the music, the lore, the boss fight itself comes together unlike anything else.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

It's a great design and a cool fight, but I think the fallen Knight surpasses it; you fight him as a broken beast, and then you see him reclaim himself as a noble warrior, and get to fight him as the Holy Blade. Everything, the design, the music, the lore, the boss fight itself comes together unlike anything else.  

That’s fair too. Comes down to preference really. I like Gael’s design better, but I prefer Orphan mechanically. 

On 9/26/2022 at 12:38 PM, The Good Doctor said:

It’s almost the same for Maria, but she loses a point or two by being too easy to cheese with parry, and not having enough health for the fight to last as long as it deserved to. But this is made up for by how damned fun and beautiful that duel is. Like a ballroom dance

I've yet to finish my Bl4 run due to burnout, but she was the most insane boss so far, easily the hardest. More so then Orphan in my opinion, which he and Moon Presence are the last two I even have to fight.

New Elden Ring update. https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/elden-ring-patch-notes-107

Here's the most important rundowns.

Separate damage scaling for pvp, in a perfect world this would mean damage is more akin to ds3. I haven't tested it yet.

Increased poise for most armors.

Nerfed powerstanced status effects, nerfed bleed, nerfed seppuku.

Spells near across the board were buffed, mostly less fp consumption and faster recovery. Though a good number got damage buffs.

Faster Colossal Greatsword swing speeds, but heavily nerfed roll/crouch poke speed. This was extremely needed as it came out lightning fast and was too easy to destroy people in pvp with. Before the patch when I saw folks tryharding with ultras, I'd pull out my own ultra and slap them down in like ten seconds. It was stupid.

Hadn’t they already nerfed bleed once before, or did I imagine that?

I feel like they should issue out those respec thingies whenever they make these kinds of changes. Everyone builds their characters based around how Fromsoft designed those playstyles. Kinda BS that they can dramatically alter the playstyles after we’ve already invested heavily into said builds. 

Not that any of this affects me too much. My main won’t even notice these outside of PvP.

My sorcerer and Wolverine claws blood build probably will, but I don’t play them much anyway.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Hadn’t they already nerfed bleed once before, or did I imagine that?

I feel like they should issue out those respec thingies whenever they make these kinds of changes. Everyone builds their characters based around how Fromsoft designed those playstyles. Kinda BS that they can dramatically alter the playstyles after we’ve already invested heavily into said builds. 

Not that any of this affects me too much. My main won’t even notice these outside of PvP.

My sorcerer and Wolverine claws blood build probably will, but I don’t play them much anyway.

I'm in full support for these changes, even though I have characters getting nerfed from them.

Bleed was insanely strong both in pvp and pve, you could kill Mohg in like twenty seconds with duel seppuku'd weapons. And it proc'd instantly in pvp, used to proc even in rolls before the changed how stagger worked.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Kinda BS that they can dramatically alter the playstyles after we’ve already invested heavily into said builds. 

Back in one of the older patches, 1.05 I think, my Arc-Faith-Dex character was hit really hard. Used to be primarily a follower of Mohg type build, bleed and formless mother incantations, with a few dragon spells.

But I added more faith and switched up the build to be a hybrid with just as much attention to dragonic spells. Made it more fun in the end, that's what I'd recommend for your Arc character. Arc-Faith is a fun style :) 

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

I have never used seppuku because I refuse to engage in such weebish degeneracy, but I’m aware of what a meme it has become in conjunction with bleed builds.

It's a shame, all these badass bloodflame incantations. Tearing the immolating blood from a formless god and wielding it as weapons and spells.

But nope, I rarely ever see anyone uses them. Even after the last two patches buffed them.

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Now that I will notice. Because I very often rock the inferior versions of outfits just for the looks. XD 

Best of all, the armors where the only difference is a cape or not has further reduced stat differences and the same poise. Such as all the Demigod's knights