Civil War Aftermath OOC #3

1 hour ago, BTC said:

You know, as a person who really hates spiders, I'm not exactly sure why they've become such a focus. Maybe there's some psychoanalysis someone could do that would reveal why that is. It was certainly not fun writing about a spider crawling up her arm to bite her on the neck. Maybe I'll transition to snakes or something. I like those way more than spiders. But thank you! 

Shit, I’m not even that bothered by spiders, but I was getting a little antsy when they went into the grotto. And even more when she let that thing crawl up her arm and bite her seconds after reflecting on how deadly it is.

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, so I made a thing. I really like making maps so I bought a map maker tool and made one of High Rock. I’d like some feedback on if I need to edit anything. Are there too many symbols, the font hard to read, basically anything you think could improve.

8E3A55CC-DAF6-498A-8644-A7176901F122.jpeg

Edited by BTC
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s really cool, man! Easy to read and not cluttered at all. You should post it on the art thread.

Thanks! I'll probably make some edits but once I do I'll add it to my other maps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BTC said:

Hey, so I made a thing. I really like making maps so I bought a map maker tool and made one of High Rock. I’d like some feedback on if I need to edit anything. Are there too many symbols, the font hard to read, basically anything you think could improve.

Hide contents

8E3A55CC-DAF6-498A-8644-A7176901F122.jpeg

Wow, mind if I put this on tumblr?

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Wow, mind if I put this on tumblr?

Not at all! Hold off until I take another look at it since there’s already a couple things I wanna edit. And you don’t need to credit me. I don’t have much in the way of a social media presence except for following stuff so there’s no need. Thanks though!

They are towns I’ve determined, usually drawing upon the names of existing locations or towns, matching them as closely as possible. Allowing for changes because war, Warp in the West, and any other excuses lol

Cavern Mount is the town just north of the Kurallian Mountains, near the coast. I’ve already decided that I’ll probably replace that icon with the same one I used for Jehanna, since that is closer to what it looks like. 

• Like 1

Here's the edited version. I'll probably have a look at it again in the morning, in case Witch notices anything that needs edited or has any suggestions.

It's a little busier now but I realized there was a grass symbol I could use. I also replaced some of the towns with different icons. Some are smaller to indicate the town is smaller and a couple have more specific symbols. I also added in some new locations, some of which will be pertinent before too long. And a fun little easter egg/secret thing. 

High Rock Map 2.jpg

Edited by BTC
  • Like 3

@Centurion

Whoever keeps spiking Ubbe’s mead with skooma needs to knock that shit off! This is a Grim One they're fucking with!

It’s probably Freya. She clearly wants some. So she drugged him, tattooed him, built the house, drugged him again, and set this whole thing up just to get his attention.

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

3 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

@Centurion

Hide contents

Whoever keeps spiking Ubbe’s mead with skooma needs to knock that shit off! This is a Grim One they're fucking with!

It’s probably Freya. She clearly wants some. So she drugged him, tattooed him, built the house, drugged him again, and set this whole thing up just to get his attention.

Lmao

I don’t think being a Grim One matter much to the Gods lol.

Freya is just as innocent as Ubbe in these happenings. But also I’m not entirely sure what part she has to play in his story yet, when I started writing there’s was no plans for a girl to be involved at all, it’s was supposed to be all mystical and strange again and then I just poofed Freya into existence out of no where and ran with it

Edited by Centurion
  • Like 1

Fuck:dntknw:

1 minute ago, Centurion said:

Yes, two Ubbe posts back to back. I got a little motivation what can I say?:D

I woke up this morning and wrote an in-universe book that was supposed to be the second one I was going to write. I've had the idea for it written down for at least a year, if not longer. But hadn't touched it at all since I wrote the idea down. Then today I woke up and wrote the whole thing. I mean, it's not very long, but still when motivation hits you gotta take advantage of it lol

I read the first Ubbe post but won't get to the second one until tonight but I'll comment once I do!

• Like 2

@Centurion

You had me going there for a second, I fully expected the bandits to have killed her. I'm glad Freya didn't die though. I think Ubbe's story will be far more interesting with someone he's looking to get back to. And of course her story will be more interesting too if she's alive and not dead :P. Though I am curious to learn more about her, more about Ubbe's tattoos, and more about Ubbe's connection with her. I assume the gods weren't just playing matchmaker lol

I'm really curious to see how Ubbe weighs his bloodlust during the war with what I assume will be a desire to survive and get back to his family. The whole time we've known him his singular goal has been to kill Thalmor, but now I have to imagine that's not going to be the only thing on his mind. 

Good posts Centurion! 

• Like 1

@Centurion

47 minutes ago, BTC said:

I assume the gods weren't just playing matchmaker lol

After reading the post, a part of me thinks that's pretty much what they were doing. XD Though I bet there will be a good reason for it. 

I knew Ubbe was gonna smash. I'm more convinced than ever of my (totally not debunked by a previous comment) theory that Freya has been setting all this shit up and isn't innocent at all. Before, I thought she was just thirsty, but now I think she's one of those crazy zealous mountain Nords who wants a powerful warrior child and decided to use Ubbe as the father because he's a badass Grim One (perfect candidate for having powerful warrior child). So she knocked him out, tatted him up for the ritual, seduced him, and got knocked up. Then she hired some crooks to "attack" her so that Ubbe would complete the ritual by spilling their blood all over the grounds in offering to the gods.

Ubbe's child will grow up to be the greatest Nord we've ever seen. Calling it.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@Centurion

Hide contents

After reading the post, a part of me thinks that's pretty much what they were doing. XD Though I bet there will be a good reason for it. 

I knew Ubbe was gonna smash. I'm more convinced than ever of my (totally not debunked by a previous comment) theory that Freya has been setting all this shit up and isn't innocent at all. Before, I thought she was just thirsty, but now I think she's one of those crazy zealous mountain Nords who wants a powerful warrior child and decided to use Ubbe as the father because he's a badass Grim One (perfect candidate for having powerful warrior child). So she knocked him out, tatted him up for the ritual, seduced him, and got knocked up. Then she hired some crooks to "attack" her so that Ubbe would complete the ritual by spilling their blood all over the grounds in offering to the gods.

Ubbe's child will grow up to be the greatest Nord we've ever seen. Calling it.

Lmao I thought Mila was supposed to grow up to be the most powerful being in the universe?

I didn’t know Ubbe was gonna smash until it happened :rofl: (totally not acknowledging the debunked theory) Freya is actually the manifestation of Mara who wish to bring a strong Nord child into the world to cement her place at the head of the Nordic pantheon because Shor couldn’t make her cum and Talos is an asshole!

but really tho she’s just a normal girl XD

Edited by Centurion
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BTC said:

@Centurion

Hide contents

You had me going there for a second, I fully expected the bandits to have killed her. I'm glad Freya didn't die though. I think Ubbe's story will be far more interesting with someone he's looking to get back to. And of course her story will be more interesting too if she's alive and not dead :P. Though I am curious to learn more about her, more about Ubbe's tattoos, and more about Ubbe's connection with her. I assume the gods weren't just playing matchmaker lol

I'm really curious to see how Ubbe weighs his bloodlust during the war with what I assume will be a desire to survive and get back to his family. The whole time we've known him his singular goal has been to kill Thalmor, but now I have to imagine that's not going to be the only thing on his mind. 

Good posts Centurion! 

in the first drafts she was died with the flames burning away her flesh and Ubbe unborn before his eyes. And then it changed to she was all cut up and bleeding to death in the Shrine chamber. And then it was their we’re going to be bandits doing things to her dying body in the shrine chamber. And then it become what it is with her hiding behind Mara’s totem and be found/see Ubbe stumble in on the brink of death, which is also a first Ubbe.

As for the connection... Well your guess is as good as mine. You was poofed into existence at about 9pm last night on a whim. I’m sure something will come of it! The tattoos are something I’m going to build towards.

2 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Lmao I thought Mila was supposed to grow up to be the most powerful being in the universe?

I'm not gonna dignify those preposterous theories that I had zero hand in perpetuating with a response.

8 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Shor couldn't make her come and Talos is an asshole!

:rofl: 

13 minutes ago, Centurion said:

I didn’t know Ubbe was gonna smash until it happened 

9 minutes ago, Centurion said:

but really tho she’s just a normal girl XD

You ain't fooling me. I'm too invested in the theory now.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Reveal hidden contents

in the first drafts she was died with the flames burning away her flesh and Ubbe unborn before his eyes. And then it changed to she was all cut up and bleeding to death in the Shrine chamber. And then it was their we’re going to be bandits doing things to her dying body in the shrine chamber. And then it become what it is with her hiding behind Mara’s totem and be found/see Ubbe stumble in on the brink of death, which is also a first Ubbe.

As for the connection... Well your guess is as good as mine. You was poofed into existence at about 9pm last night on a whim. I’m sure something will come of it! The tattoos are something I’m going to build towards.

Holy shit, dude. Yeah, I'm glad you went with this version instead.

• Like 1

@BTC

Interesting stuff. Particularly the details about many of the existing institutions forming in recent centuries by people who left the failing institutions of old. My favorite to read about were the Coterie of the Elect, who sound kinda like the Bretons' own Telvanni. They're so private that it makes me wonder what secrets they've got access to, seeing as how even some of the less exclusive factions have some pretty big ones of their own.

It's also a nice touch how the Academy of Arcana fostered so much goodwill by teaching the dangers of affiliating with daedra before the Oblivion Crisis occurred and vindicated them. That's a good look in a time like that.

Everything surrounding the Conclave is really cool too, and the best part of it all. Where your civil war plotline did a great job of displaying the politics and power balance of High Rock's lords and kings, this little document goes a long way to lay out how the magical side of High Rock has historically been at least as influential. They straight up muscled out the major Imperial institutions years before HR even left the Empire. It seems that it's only with Theodore's rise that the mages are beginning to really move into the second chair publicly, and the nobility is solidifying its position as the top dog in High Rock. The fact that you saw fit to write all this has me intrigued. I'm wondering if or how this budding rivalry will come into play in the RP.

Also, that last bit about the Shadow Magic made me chuckle. Even more so knowing that this was an Imperial document. Some Imp scholar might've been writing that shadow magic is a lost art even as Theodore was making the decision to have Winvale weaponize it against his enemies.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

My favorite to read about were the Coterie of the Elect, who sound kinda like the Bretons' own Telvanni. They're so private that it makes me wonder what secrets they've got access to, seeing as how even some of the less exclusive factions have some pretty big ones of their own.

They're my favorite too, probably because they feel the most Breton. The exclusivity, privacy, and secrets. Plus, I like their name. They used to be basically the same except were the Sorcerous Society but I thought that was too much alliteration with the Academy Arcana and not nearly cool (or French sounding) enough.

It's also a nice touch how the Academy of Arcana fostered so much goodwill by teaching the dangers of affiliating with daedra before the Oblivion Crisis occurred and vindicated them. That's a good look in a time like that.

Thanks! I figured that summonings, necromancy, and how heavily they preached (or didn't) the dangers of Daedra would be a good marker to differentiate them all.

Everything surrounding the Conclave is really cool too, and the best part of it all....The fact that you saw fit to write all this has me intrigued. I'm wondering if or how this budding rivalry will come into play in the RP.

I had the idea for this book for a long time, but the Conclave was only in it recently. It grew out of a line in the Morane post where she breaks into the School, when one of the mages mentions the next conclave. At the time I was thinking it would only be a meeting, not larger structure. You mentioned in your comment that you were interested in the mage politics and that stuck with me. 

Since then I've been thinking about what other groups in High Rock might have a rivalry with Theo, and clearly given Winvale's presence, the fact members of the Conclave tried to blackmail Theo, and then Theo threatening the Arch Cleric all meant the magical schools were an obvious choice. So, suffice it to say, we'll definitely be seeing more of this. Part of my motivation that led me to write it was that it would be a big hint of things to come.

Fun fact, the Wayrest Lyceum and the Forums of the Phynastery were actually things I discovered that already existed. Not in officially established lore, but both are mentioned in some of MK"s works. Here's where the Forums are mentioned on reddit by MK, and here's On Boethiah's Summoning Day is where the Lyceum is mentioned. 

Thanks Doc! Glad you enjoyed it!

Edited by BTC
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BTC said:

Part of my motivation that led me to write it was that it would be a big hint of things to come.

This has me excited. Political conflicts in High Rock have been very fun to read. And making one that revolves around magic will be a nice change of pace. Especially with Winvale creeping around on Theo’s side.

• Like 1

I don’t know what’s going on exactly, but I like it, LOL. I like that you’re trying to tackle on the weirder God stuff, but keeping it a human story all the same. If that makes sense. I’ll comment more, Hard to type right now, but I am looking forward to more from him. And I can’t wait for him in my character to spend more time on screen so to speak, fighting and training etc.

Your character reminds me of this dude on outlaw King, that movie on Netflix. He was so bad ass and so savage they  add a black to his last name, LOL. So for example since I don’t remember his first name right now, it was like Patrick the black or some shit like that. Reminds me a lot of something someone might say for someone in the grim ones

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee