Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #19

It features people running around screaming "you have to see them!" @BigBossBalrog and @ColonelKillaBee basically. XD

The author of the book on which the movie is based:

Bookish: What sends humans into madness seems to be getting a glimpse of something that our minds cannot comprehend. That is truly out of Lovecraft. Who are your other favorite horror writers?

JM:The Mist by Stephen King was more or less my introduction to that Lovecraftian "overlapping of dimensions." I like Lovecraft, but I don't know if I know him well enough to consider him a "favorite." There are people who devote their lives to that guy. A whole shelf has grown in the bookstores based on his stuff.

Truth is, I love all the horror guys and girls: Gord Rollo, Shirley Jackson, Harlan Ellison, Ramsey Campbell, Dan Simmons, Thomas Ligotti. Each one of them brings something wonderfully different and, because I love the genre, I love those who love the genre too. And I hope the genre ends up loving me back. I think it will, but I understand I've got to earn that love.

After college I went on a real big classics kick. Read everything by Faulkner, Hemingway, Woolf, Proust, Dostoevsky. And that classics train dropped me off at Dracula. Halfway through it, I understood I'd never be going back, never "leaving" the genre again. Since then, I've been on a fairly strict horror diet.

Bookish: What are your five favorite scary movies? And why?

JM:Twilight Zone: The Movie because it was my first.

Creepshow because it brought E.C. Comics to life, and because the soundtrack is fantastic.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre because of everything about it.

Evil Dead because it completely represents horror as a dark "art."

Under the Skin because I just saw it.

But this is just five. I could list 500.

• Haha 2

:lol: It was really good lol, has me theorizing a lot.

It reminds me a lot of the story where the guy starts seeing things that were once invisible, and eventually they could also see him. Theory article.

https://nerdist.com/5-theories-about-the-creatures-in-bird-box/

LOVECRAFTIAN MONSTERS

This one is definitely our favorite theory, and is probably the one that tracks the most. In the film, it’s heavily implied that the clinically insane aren’t driven to suicide after seeing the beings, but come away enlightened. After encountering the monsters, they’ll say things like “it shall cleanse the world” and “I’ve seen the truth.” One of the people who witnesses the creatures and lives to tell the tale is Gary, a survivor in Malorie’s refuge house, who draws pictures of black, tentacled creatures with white eyes who come from the sky. These could be aliens or inter-dimensional beings, sure, but they look and sounds way more Cthulhu–an ancient, cosmic being hibernating deep within the Earth–than your average alien invasion movie or Stephen King plot.

Horror legend H.P. Lovecraft was known for toying with concepts of madness in his stories, and his most famous creation, Cthulhu, was a tentacled creature that both drives people mad and inspired cultish devotion – which is exactly what happens to the “enlightened” in Bird Box. Beings that are too hard to quantify with the human eye are prominent in many of Lovecraft’s works, as in the novella At the Mountains of Madness and short stories like “Dagon” and “The Lurking Fear.” We like to think his obsession with the unknown and what it can do to the mind was an inspiration for Bird Box, or at least a subtle wink at a larger horror mythos.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, Celan said:

It features people running around screaming "you have to see them!" @BigBossBalrog and @ColonelKillaBee basically. XD

The author of the book on which the movie is based:

Bookish: What sends humans into madness seems to be getting a glimpse of something that our minds cannot comprehend. That is truly out of Lovecraft. Who are your other favorite horror writers?

JM:The Mist by Stephen King was more or less my introduction to that Lovecraftian "overlapping of dimensions." I like Lovecraft, but I don't know if I know him well enough to consider him a "favorite." There are people who devote their lives to that guy. A whole shelf has grown in the bookstores based on his stuff.

Truth is, I love all the horror guys and girls: Gord Rollo, Shirley Jackson, Harlan Ellison, Ramsey Campbell, Dan Simmons, Thomas Ligotti. Each one of them brings something wonderfully different and, because I love the genre, I love those who love the genre too. And I hope the genre ends up loving me back. I think it will, but I understand I've got to earn that love.

After college I went on a real big classics kick. Read everything by Faulkner, Hemingway, Woolf, Proust, Dostoevsky. And that classics train dropped me off at Dracula. Halfway through it, I understood I'd never be going back, never "leaving" the genre again. Since then, I've been on a fairly strict horror diet.

Bookish: What are your five favorite scary movies? And why?

JM:Twilight Zone: The Movie because it was my first.

Creepshow because it brought E.C. Comics to life, and because the soundtrack is fantastic.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre because of everything about it.

Evil Dead because it completely represents horror as a dark "art."

Under the Skin because I just saw it.

But this is just five. I could list 500.

:rofl: Balrog did say that if they ever came, we'd be worshiping some backwater swamp god.

And we'd hunt you down, drag you to our effigy, make you delight in the sights and sounds of the enlightened until you too, dined upon the naked truth of the elder gods. Seeing is believing, my dear... seeing... is believing.

• Haha 1

Sure sure. The thing you guys don't get is, I don't give a shit if you like Cthulhu, or if something is Lovecraftian.

I said all along that you just need to get a new book. It's insisting that everything horror, or involving madness, is about Lovecraft. And the author himself obviously thinks the same way.

Just now, Celan said:

Sure sure. The thing you guys don't get is, I don't give a shit if you like Cthulhu, or if something is Lovecraftian.

I said all along that you just need to get a new book. It's insisting that everything horror, or involving madness, is about Lovecraft. And the author himself obviously thinks the same way.

He did mention that the Mist was lovecraftian :whistling: 

I'm not gonna get into that debate again though lol, I was just messing with you :P You can think what you like of the inspiration.

I do think it's pretty telling though that even the guy asking the questions jumped straight to lovecraft. I don't think the movie's concept was specifically such, but the themes were certainly there, regardless of who you want to give credit of that to.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

He did mention that the Mist was lovecraftian :whistling: 

I'm not gonna get into that debate again though lol, I was just messing with you :P You can think what you like of the inspiration.

I do think it's pretty telling though that even the guy asking the questions jumped straight to lovecraft. I don't think the movie's concept was specifically such, but the themes were certainly there, regardless of who you want to give credit of that to.

That's because like you, he assumed it was. But those themes weren't originated or patented by H.P.

Apparently in the book... final spoilers, don't look if you haven't seen the movie yet

The people in the compound deliberately blinded themselves.

Just now, Celan said:

That's because like you, he assumed it was. But those themes weren't originated or patented by H.P.

Apparently in the book... final spoilers, don't look if you haven't seen the movie yet

Reveal hidden contents

Bullshit. Cosmic Horror was created and codified by Lovecraft. 

A quote from Stephen fucking king (and it's made primarily clear he admits that H.P is his primary influence)

"“I think it is beyond doubt that H. P. Lovecraft has yet to be surpassed as the twentieth century’s greatest practitioner of the classic horror tale.  Lovecraft. . . opened the way for me as he had done for others before me.... it is his shadow, so long and gaunt, and his eyes, so dark and puritanical, which overlie almost all of the important horror fiction that has come since.”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Like I said I'm not gonna spark that debate again because I was just messing with you, lol, but I agree with Bman. Like I said, I know the story isn't straight outta the Cthulhu Mythos. I'm sure the author just added that for spice in the background.

But there's no denying Lovecraft created Cosmic Horror, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Besides, none of those named movies or authors fit the bill of the movie anyway, certainly not more than Stephen King or Lovecraft. Or even Chambers or Clark Ashton Smith, etc.

And the author said he didn't know Lovecraft well or consider him a favorite, yet here you two are, fanboying and insisting it has to be about H.P.

It really is cosmic horror. You see that shit everywhere. I'm glad I don't have whatever it is you've got. XD

1 minute ago, Celan said:

And the author said he didn't know Lovecraft well or consider him a favorite, yet here you two are, fanboying and insisting it has to be about H.P.

It really is cosmic horror. You see that shit everywhere. I'm glad I don't have whatever it is you've got. XD

We aren't saying it's about Lovecraft. Colonel is saying that it draws from his works, like anything else that takes itself from the genre of Cosmic Horror. Which the author admitted. 

Just now, Celan said:

I said like three times now I know the movie isn't straight out of the mythos XD 

All I said was the themes were certainly present. The author never said he didn't take inspirations from lovecraft, and never pointed to a specific other author aside from Stephen King's the Mist, which had to have been the closest movie concept to this in all the list of movies and authors. 

And he mentioned all on his own that it was Lovecraftian ;) 

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Like I said I'm not gonna spark that debate again because I was just messing with you, lol, but I agree with Bman. Like I said, I know the story isn't straight outta the Cthulhu Mythos. I'm sure the author just added that for spice in the background.

But there's no denying Lovecraft created Cosmic Horror, in my opinion.

I think it's more semantics. You shrink horror down into one set of names and stories, call it Cosmic Horror, then insist H.P. invented the shit and anytime anything remotely related shows up, you blather on about it.

Horror is bigger than that, and older than that. The themes you go on about are far more universal. The author rattled off a dozen influences but that's the only one you care about, so it's the only one you see.

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

I think it's more semantics. You shrink horror down into one set of names and stories, call it Cosmic Horror, then insist H.P. invented the shit and anytime anything remotely related shows up, you blather on about it.

Horror is bigger than that, and older than that. The themes you go on about are far more universal. The author rattled off a dozen influences but that's the only one you care about, so it's the only one you see.

Lol if you say so, horror's universal and old, yes but cosmic horror was given its own branch for a reason. 

The themes it consists of were older than lovecraft yes but no one's put them all together in such a specific way before. People have dabbled, and lovecraft himself said he took inspiration from some of those authors, but he was the one that specialized in it enough that he's universally credited for the genre. 

Cosmic horror is specifically dealing in themes of madness, the unknown, dark beings and things from space, dimensional and space horror, etc. And it was sparked specifically by the cultural renaissance of that time and scientific discovery. And racism lol, and the advancing cultural perceptions of it.

edit: Plus creepy cult stuff and weird scientific contraptions.

• Like 1

And for added clarification, no I don't think the movie exists in the Cthulhu mythos ;) it certainly could, and I do think that whoever directed it made it more lovecraftian than the author did with his book, but the fact that

The things appear as loved ones sometimes shows that their forms, whatever they are, are not always monsters. They can disguise themselves as whatever they want, or appear to humans as whatever they want. That or humans just see whatever they want to see instead of what they actually are. But like I said when we watched it, I do believe the mad people simply saw monsters because they're crazy and they wanted to see monsters. So for them, the creatures didn't have the same power even though they were effected and could be used against the others. 

And while that is certainly lovecraftian, the things appearing to you as loved ones certainly isn't. 

That's why I said I don't think the movie is specifically lovecraftian and obviously from what the author said it isn't entirely.

But you saw the pictures the crazy british guy kept... whoever directed it was definitely a fan, one of the pictures straight up looks like a depiction of Hermaus Mora's floating mass of tentacles with an eye in the middle. Lovecraftian inspiration is a part of this equation for sure.