Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #42

11 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I mean, it’s not a newly discovered or unstudied condition. And not even that rare in the grand scheme of neurological conditions (not to say it isn’t rare, but it’s not like a 1 in a million thing). There are thousands of documented cases, and while some can get pretty wild, a case where a person turns into something like "the Beast", a crazy cannibal with super powers (or near enough), would certainly be an extreme outlier, if it’s ever happened  at all. But that’s why the movie is fun; it takes a real condition and combines it with an absolute human extreme. 

Of course. XD You don’t need to convince me of the movie’s premise. I know and like it quite a bit, even wish we’d gotten more of it. You’ve honestly made me want to go back and rewatch.

It isnt unstudied or new but it is actually very rare, google says its 1.5 percent of the global population. Thousands of documented cases yes but documented doesnt mean its well researched. And "studied" doesnt mean much either. Its not a condition that has received much funding to cover and the medical and mental fields still disagree on if its even real, much less if these fantastic conditions you described are a thing. 

The only thing thats that super about the movie was him getting hit with that shotgun, the rest of it up until that last movie where dude lifts a car is all within the limits of what a human can do. 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Keep in mind that statistic is skewed also because of the fact that people dont even agree on if its a real thing or not, so that figure is over estimated because of the lack of research on it. That figure can get smaller, or larger once they have actually researched it more. Wasnt very long ago it was called Multiple Personality Disorder too, because they didnt understand it.

20 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

google says its 1.5 percent of the global population.

Which is a huge number of people. Even a quarter of that would’ve surprised me with how high it is, to be honest. I’m not a researcher, and it doesn’t help my argument, but just intuitively I have a hard time believing that 1 in a 100 people have experienced this, or even close to that number.

and the medical and mental fields still disagree on if its even real, much less if these fantastic conditions you described are a thing. 

The ability to prove what’s going on in a person’s head is a lot more limited than the ability to prove fantastical capabilities. There being a debate over whether cases of DID are physical neurological issues, "in their head" psychological issues, or simply dishonest patients playing a character, doesn’t have much bearing on the question of whether the patients become powerful monster men. If that wasn’t exceptional, then we would have examples of that behavior regardless of the explanation or label.

The only thing thats that super about the movie was him getting hit with that shotgun, the rest of it up until that last movie where dude lifts a car is all within the limits of what a human can do. 

Which is enough to support the point of it being very mild superpowers, as you said in an earlier post. That’s not a criticism of the movie, it’s just what it is. I would also throw in the wall crawling.

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

That’s funny, because most the criticism I’ve heard has almost been the opposite. Starfield is too much like other Bethesda games, in many of the wrong ways. You can only do the same tricks for so long before people get tired of them.

Especially given that Bethesda’s awful writing, mediocre gameplay, and wonky engine have always been carried hard by The Elder Scrolls and Fallout being incredible settings. If anything, Starfield’s reception proves that they aren’t really worth much without their brands.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s funny, because most the criticism I’ve heard has almost been the opposite. Starfield is too much like other Bethesda games, in many of the wrong ways. You can only do the same tricks for so long before people get tired of them.

Especially given that Bethesda’s awful writing, mediocre gameplay, and wonky engine have always been carried hard by The Elder Scrolls and Fallout being incredible settings. If anything, Starfield’s reception proves that they aren’t really worth much without their brands.

To be fair, I think a huge factor of why people turned against Starfield is the use of randomly generated content versus the handcrafted feel of there other worlds. Which is different XD

11 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

To be fair, I think a huge factor of why people turned against Starfield is the use of randomly generated content versus the handcrafted feel of there other worlds. Which is different XD

That is one thing. But I’ve heard plenty of "typical Bethesda" complaints as well. 

9 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

This is exactly it. Bethesda can't say "we tried something different" because they have been embracing these design criteria steadily for the past few games- replacing actual written quest lines with radiant quests, using procedurally generated content, simplifying things to the nth degree, using mindless filler combat in place of branching story. It's more that the game is too Bethesda.

• Like 1

My convo with doc about how deathclaws suck on f4 made me mod them so theyre true demons again. Any special variant on survival mode is now basically a one hit on me even in power armor lol and it takes quite a bit of fire power to kill one, on survival.

I wish it was like that from the start indeed, much more satisfying.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 7:10 PM, ColonelKillaBee said:

My convo with doc about how deathclaws suck on f4 made me mod them so theyre true demons again.

As they should be. XD 

One of the things I don’t care for in Fallout 76 is how deathclaws got so drowned out by other, more dangerous, wasteland creatures to the point of basically being forgettable.

Other games might have introduced a few beasts who can rival them with numbers (like cazadores and tunnelers), but in my opinion, deathclaws should always be the apex predators of the wasteland.

From Fallout 1:

"The Deathclaw is the most evil thing to rise out of the ashes after the war. Some say it's a powerful ghost from the war that haunts the land. It's no ghost, it's as real as you and me. It's 20 feet tall with teeth as big as your arm. It's some kind of demon that found its way here when the world was engulfed in fire."

Kendrick Lamar just shook the whole music industry of what he said, not because its a surprise but because he was on the inside, and used it to drag drake in their rap beef

Yall unaware I understand but there is a civil war in the black community over this electrifying beef. So many songs have dropped in such a short interval. Literally three songs dropped last night over these two niggas.

Its crazy, drake doing way better than anyone imagined, I have no idea who winning whats true, if drake got another daughter, is he a pedo, do kendrick beat his wife, is his baby really his managers baby, shit is wild.

This is Brund vs Baldur big. This is uhhh, whats sumpin yall watch. 

Uh, Billy Joel vs uh George Strait lol

• Haha 1

this rap beef go harder than tupac vs biggie and them niggas died. Tupac fucked biggies wife and had her singing the hook which was a spin on biggie's hook, "get money", as "take money"

And this shit was still harder. Drake even summoned tupac from the dead to diss kendrick, with ai snoop dogg, to instigate this beef.

J Cole lookin smarter and smarter every day for apologizing n gettin outta the way lol

• Haha 1

*Been watching some Silent Horror movies*

*Starting thinking to myself: "Why can't Disney just make movies like this-"

I gotta stop myself before I turn into the ultimate Contrarian XD 

But ya'll should give them a try. They're great movies for Halloween parties! 

7fa13c69b2177635f0b59ba2d7dc1ea7.gif 

cf1cb13a041dec312387ffd732baab6c.gif

eef91e68946ef451d1427d9bca8d1c86339bd4be

• Like 2

On 5/5/2024 at 9:59 PM, BigBossBalrog said:

*Been watching some Silent Horror movies*

*Starting thinking to myself: "Why can't Disney just make movies like this-"

I gotta stop myself before I turn into the ultimate Contrarian XD 

But ya'll should give them a try. They're great movies for Halloween parties! 

7fa13c69b2177635f0b59ba2d7dc1ea7.gif 

cf1cb13a041dec312387ffd732baab6c.gif

eef91e68946ef451d1427d9bca8d1c86339bd4be

Die Nibelungen Siegfried and Kriemhild's Rache remain my favorite silent movies. XD

I cannot recommend them enough to anyone

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Die Nibelungen Siegfried and Kriemhild's Rache remain my favorite silent movies. XD

I cannot recommend them enough to anyone

You certainly have to get be in the right mood to watch them, but it's always funny to see people sneer and say "I can't watch Silent Movies, they bore me!" XD

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

:( 

Shame. Also a shame that Arkane’s last work would be Redfall. Talk about going out with a whimper. 

And Tango had the potential to be Xbox’s big horror studio if they’d kept it up with Evil Within instead of completely shifting gears. Ah well.

I’m guess that the $7 billion Microsoft paid for Zenimax properties hasn’t even come close to paying for itself. They’ve shelved a good number of the studios they acquired with little return, and Bethesda has been moving at a snail’s pace on top of their last game being a profit dud.