Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #24

Cross-RP Team Deathmatch  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• The Fallout CS characters, with their melee weapons, one suit of power armor, and four bolt action rifles between them, all high on skooma
    • The TES CS characters, with their melee weapons and no thu'um or AOE magic, all all high on Jet

I've liked most Tarantino movies and used to be a fan, but I've hated the guy himself ever since I saw where he defended his buddy Roman Polanski for drugging and raping that child. Pretty dubious about a movie by him that actually involves Polanski's murdered wife as a character.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

20 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I've liked most Tarantino movies and used to be a fan, but I've hated the guy himself ever since I saw where he defended his buddy Roman Polanski for drugging and raping that child. Pretty dubious about a movie by him that actually involves Polanski's murdered wife as a character.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/02/quentin-tarantino-roman-polanski-apology

He claimed to be truly sorry for it, but with Polanski only someone with a head under their sand, and their ears pluged in would ever thing he was innocent of that shit, so I think he's being dishonest. 

34 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

12 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/02/quentin-tarantino-roman-polanski-apology

He claimed to be truly sorry for it, but with Polanski only someone with a head under their sand, and their ears pluged in would ever thing he was innocent of that shit, so I think he's being dishonest. 

If I had a bag full of fucks, I wouldn't give a single one out to whatever apology extraction crusade social media is on currently.

Roman Polanski* does appear in this movie for about five minutes, but there's no attempt to sanitize him as far as I can tell. It's very complimentary of Sharon Tate, which I see no problem with.

* That is- an actor portraying him.

11 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I’m aware. You can tell the media wants darling Tarantino to be forgiven because you can hardly even find the original clip by searching for it, and instead just get bombarded with “he’s vewy vewy sowwy” articles.

The guy’s an eccentric, high ranking millionaire from the most corrupt and depraved industry in one of the country’s most corrupt and depraved cities, and he’s got a reputation to maintain. Of course he says he’s sorry. I don’t care one bit or buy that it’s genuine.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

8 minutes ago, Celan said:

Roman Polanski does appear in this movie for about five minutes, but there's no attempt to sanitize him as far as I can tell. It's very complimentary of Sharon Tate, which I see no problem with.

Should’ve rewrote history like the “Hitler assassination” in Inglorious Bastards and just had someone kill the fucker. That might’ve got me to the theaters. XD 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Should’ve rewrote history like the “Hitler assassination” in Inglorious Bastards and just had someone kill the fucker. That might’ve got me to the theaters. XD 

There are worse monsters in this movie, and I'll say no more because it would be spoiling it. :)

I mean I get separating a person work with the actual person, but it my opinion, someone who defends a rapist,, and child diddler (publicly no less) to be beyond the pale, but that's just me. Reservoir Dogs is one of my favourite movies of all time, but I don't excited for his movies that much anymore. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I mean I get separating a person work with the actual person, but it my opinion, someone who defends a rapist, murdered, and child diddler (publicly no less) to be beyond the pale, but that's just me. Reservoir Dogs is one of my favourite movies of all time, but I don't excited for his movies that much anymore. 

Same boat. Even when it comes to Reservoir Dogs. XD 

That really was a damn good movie. 

• Like 1

Did find the clip though, nothing I hadn’t heard before back in the day. That was very prevalent in the 90s.

Obviously attitudes have changed so like politicians it makes sense that he apologized. Can’t get away with that now but back then you could. Definitely not the only one that said it.

https://jezebel.com/heres-audio-of-quentin-tarantino-defending-roman-polans-1822745916

But hell no, 13 is like, middle school. That’s gross, kids don’t know what the hell they want, especially not sex.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

11 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

But hell no, 13 is like, middle school. That’s gross, kids don’t know what the hell they want, especially not sex.

Exactly. In no way was that acceptable in the 90s, and Tarantino defended it in the 2000s. Plus, Polanski didn’t just have sex with a kid. He drugged her too. So even if she was older, knowing what she wants isn’t even really a factor. Fuck that guy. 

It certainly was moreso than now. Think about it, that show and that bits been out for years and no one said much till recently. Obviously it was still illegal but it was far more common of an opinion or at least more common to hear that opinion then than it is now. 

Especially since that was around the time of the r Kelly trial.

The black community was especially of a differing opinion on such things.

Hell people still defend r kelly, boondocks had a whole episode about it XD  

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

It certainly was moreso than now. Think about it, that show and that bits been out for years and no one said much till recently.

I blame Hollywood and the media more than society being cool with it. They have a lot of control over what people know and think, and it’s only in more recent years with the growth of the internet that normal people have access to information without that filter. Hell, back then radio hosts like Stern were considered alternative media for this very reason.

Fact of the matter is that Polanski and Tarantino are two of the biggest names in Hollywood with close ties to lots of top producers. I suspect that’s got more to do with people not knowing about this stuff than folks in the 90s overall just being cool with it. Hell, we’re good examples of this. I used to like Tarantino before but don’t any more, and it’s not because I was more accepting of pedophile defenders back then and my view changed, but because the information became more accessible and I found out about it.

16 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Hell people still defend r kelly, boondocks had a whole episode about it XD  

Isn't the general defense of R Kelly that he’s innocent? The defense of Polanski was that what he did was just not that bad. That’s a lot worse. But either way, this is why idolatry can be really bad. I don’t care how big a fan you are of somebody. If they mess with kids you should let that fucker go. 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Speaking of, no one here will ever convince me this show is anything but Shakespearean in its comedic genius

:rofl: Some day, I’m just gonna binge this fucking show. 

Maybe because we grew up in very different areas but where I came from, people didn't give a damn. Probably also because they were either having sex with grown men at 13 themselves and treat it like my mother does when I bring up my abuse (she says its no big deal because she and my uncle went through it too), or because they themselves were perpetrators too.

But either way, I know a lot of people, black and white shrugged that sort of thing off all the time in the 90s and 2000s as well.

In R Kelly's case, boondocks covers the defense of him pretty well. "If I didn't want to get peed on, I'd just move out the way." :rofl: 

Yea people mainly said he didn't do it, others said she wanted it because he was R Kelly. The parents also took his money to stay quiet. Really fucked.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

:rofl: Some day, I’m just gonna binge this fucking show. 

You won't regret it XD Just don't bother with season 4.

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

You won't regret it XD Just don't bother with season 4.

I was hooked by the first episode when Huey dreamed about telling white people Jesus was Black, the govt lied about 9/11, and Ronald Reagan was the devil and they all rioted from the truth.

But then he tried doing the same thing in real life and the white people just applauded him for being well spoken and said "I love this kid!" And he lost his shit XD :rofl: 

And grandad trying to use the civil rights movement stuff to his advantage until the kids called him out and said he was never hosed or bit by dogs, and we see a flashback with his ass in a raincoat suit coming late to the protests asking what happened.

"This nigga went to get a fucking raincoat? Really?"

"Bet you wish you had yo raincoat right about now!"

:rofl: 

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Maybe because we grew up in very different areas but where I came from, people didn't give a damn

Yeah, where I grew up most people in the 90s probably didn’t even know who Tarantino or R Kelly were. They knew Pulp Fiction was a cool movie and probably thought Kelly did Hammer Time. XD 

Well, most younger black people probably knew R Kelly. But I really doubt many older ones did or even do today. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Yeah, where I grew up most people in the 90s probably didn’t even know who Tarantino or R Kelly were. They knew Pulp Fiction was a cool movie and probably thought Kelly did Hammer Time. XD 

Well, most younger black people probably knew R Kelly. But I really doubt many older ones did or even do today. 

You sure? They played "I believe I can fly" in every black church I've ever been in XD He's called the King of R&B. That's like old white folks not knowing who John Lennon was in his heyday.