Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #24

Cross-RP Team Deathmatch  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• The Fallout CS characters, with their melee weapons, one suit of power armor, and four bolt action rifles between them, all high on skooma
    • The TES CS characters, with their melee weapons and no thu'um or AOE magic, all all high on Jet

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Everyone agrees on this. I just don’t think her hair color is a big deal at all. Hardly any attention is drawn to it in the books.

But they could have at least tried to make the character look as she's actually described. 

Here's the part I meant, for reference. From Lady of the Lake:

"That's enough of this discussion! A little more humility, you arrogant slut! He's my man, mine and only mine! Do you understand? You're to stop talking about him, you're to stop thinking about him, you're to stop delighting in his noble character. Right away, at once! Oh, I feel like grabbing you by that ginger mop of hair..."

"Just you try!" yelled Triss. "Just you try, you bitch, and I'll scratch your eyes out, I-"

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Hardly any is in the game either, besides the occasional mention, same as the book.

It doesn’t need to get mentioned in the game because we see it every time she’s on screen and her look is iconic to the games. Not so for the books. 

Chestnut is not even close to the vibrant red in the games. The former is very common and doesn’t tend to stand out much. The latter is an extremely prominent feature. That’s why I don’t see why book Triss’s hair is a big deal at all. It’s not the same as in the game.

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Whether import is drawn to it or not they can’t claim to go by the books when almost nothing looks like it came from any source material, game or books...

We haven’t seen much other than the main characters, but many of their main features are still clearly derived from the books. Ciri’s are all there. Geralt has his white hair (even if the wig looks weird on Superman). Yen has her black hair. They didn’t just say fuck it and go completely off rails with everything. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

It doesn’t need to get mentioned in the game because we see it every time she’s on screen and her look is iconic to the games. Not so for the books. 

Chestnut is not even close to the vibrant red in the games. The former is very common and doesn’t tend to stand out much. The latter is an extremely prominent feature. That’s why I don’t see why book Triss’s hair is a big deal at all. It’s not the same as in the game.

We haven’t seen much other than the main characters, but many of their main features are still clearly derived from the books. Ciri’s are all there. Geralt has his white hair (even if the wig looks weird on Superman). Yen has her black hair. They didn’t just say fuck it and go completely off rails with everything. 

Ginger implies that her brand of chestnut is at least still red enough to call red, and as Celan said, Sapowski called it red too.

Obviously the game doesn’t need to, but it doesn’t matter since, again, they clearly didn’t care about the game or books when it came to looks at all.

So as far as I’m concerned bringing up the books is completely pointless. You could say the same about the game but of the two, the game is far more popular so they should’ve gone with that.

Ciri doesn’t look anything like Ciri to me, even if she is younger. Yennifer having black hair is the only resemblance, and Geralt, I’ve seen better cosplays personally.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, Celan said:

But they could have at least tried to make the character look as she's actually described. 

Sure, I especially wish they’d chosen someone younger. Her hair just doesn’t matter to me.

It’s like Tormund or Theon in GoT. Nobody hates them just because their hair is the wrong color, because it’s only mentioned like once in the books and doesn’t matter very much. If TV Ygritte had blonde hair, that would be dumb because her being “kissed by fire” is actually a significant trait.

Book Triss is more like Tormund or Theon in this regard than she is like Ygritte.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Also, saying it’s not the same as the games unfair to say when as you said, the game is visual. They don’t bring it up much in the game either so I wouldn’t say they made it front and center in the game vs the book at all.

You can’t compare the two on visuals which is why the tv show should’ve differed to the most popular and only visual reference we have. The Games.

Vs almost nothing at all

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Ciri doesn’t look anything like Ciri to me, even if she is younger.

She looks like a dead ringer to me unless I try to image the game version instead of just going off the given traits from the books.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

They don’t bring it up much in the game either so I wouldn’t say they made it front and center in the game vs the book at all.

They didn’t have to. You don’t have to mention something visual over and over again for it to become iconic. The goal with the tv series obviously isn’t to make her hair iconic as it became with the games. 

11 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

She looks like a dead ringer to me unless I try to image the game version instead of just going off the given traits from the books.

You’re the only one I know saying that personally

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

They didn’t have to. You don’t have to mention something visual over and over again for it to become iconic. The goal with the tv series obviously isn’t to make her hair iconic as it became with the games. 

Neither does the book. The real difference is Triss doesn’t have a big role in the books

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

You’re the only one I know saying that personally

How many of those people are just using the game depiction of Ciri to go off of? From the traits we’re given in the books, I don’t see why anyone is complaining. She’s got the hair, the youth, the weird eyes, and a somewhat nobility look about her. You can only ask for so much when working with real human actors. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Ciri looks great to me as well XD She supposed to be unsettling and sicklyish. 

Unsettling? Yea, ok lol XD I'm more convinced than ever that everyone doesn't see things the same way, like colors lol. We only think we do.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

How many of those people are just using the game depiction of Ciri to go off of? From the traits we’re given in the books, I don’t see why anyone is complaining. She’s got the hair, the youth, the weird eyes, and a somewhat nobility look about her. You can only ask for so much when working with real human actors. 

Like I said, Tijhan's read it more than I have and he hates it more than I do. She just doesn't match, mainly in personality. 

There's looking like the character in the story, and there's also the character looking like they fit the role. She doesn't fit Cirilla to me.

Never said she would. Point is, her hair should still be red.

It is in the books and games. Ginger is pretty clear cut.

Tormund should’ve had white hair. Theon’s should've been really dark. Nobody gave a shit about that because those traits aren’t particularly important or memorable for them. Same goes for Triss if you take the games out of the equation like they clearly did.

As for Ciri, people say the same about lots of actors based on trailers and images, then change their minds once they see their performance. I’m willing to give the actress a chance to play the role before writing her off. She has the features, and an entire series to develop into the darker and more brutal Ciri we got further into the books. This is her origin. She’s got a long way to go before she’s even supposed to resemble the character we tend to think of when we envision Ciri.

Of course, that’s assuming the show doesn’t turn out to be a mess, and I’m not really confident that it won’t. Just not gonna bash every single aspect of it before it airs.

I don't give a damn about GoT, especially with how it ended, and GoT didn't have a video game that already did an excellent job portraying the characters. For me they don't compare even when GoT was still good. 

They had a visual example already that was superb and they just straight up ignored it entirely which is a complete waste. 

GoT also has way too many characters to even remotely compare the stories, you wouldn't even have the energy (most people anyway) to care about every last character portrayal that didn't match the books.

Witcher has more focus.

I don't give a damn about GoT, especially with how it ended, and GoT didn't have a video game that already did an excellent job portraying the characters. For me they don't compare even when GoT was still good. 

They had a visual example already that was superb and they just straight up ignored it entirely which is a complete waste. 

Because they wanted to their own visual take on the Witcher, and not leech off (the super popular) games. It's commendable, even if I disagree on some of the casting. 

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Because they wanted to their own visual take on the Witcher, and not leech off (the super popular) games. It's commendable, even if I disagree on some of the casting. 

Nigga you just said a page ago they were going (supposedly) off the books until Celan gave visual proof of what I said all along, which is that the books say her hair is red.

It is not commendable to fuck up the source material when visuals for a tv show especially is so important.

Nigga you just said a page ago they were going (supposedly) off the books until Celan gave visual proof of what I said all along, which is that the books say her hair is red.

It is not commendable to fuck up the source material when visuals for a tv show especially is so important.

I said a page ago that Trish wasn't an important character in the books, and that they weren't based off the games, read again. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I said a page ago that Trish wasn't an important character in the books, and that they weren't based off the games, read again. 

Triss lol and how does that go against what I just said XD 

That you're basing your argument off of the idea of her not being important in the books at all (which is again irrelevant since her hair is red in the books) shows my point, which is you claimed they were going by the books. Even if not directly, it was implied in your argument.

Plus, if that isn't the case, then I default to my previous statement, which is most of the fans are fans from the games, so they should be catering to that. Suddenly changing important characteristics of characters like that is jarring.

GoT’s ending being shit has very little to do with the characters’ appearances. It was just an example. I could use others, like LotR for instance. Triss isn’t nearly as important in the books as she is in the games and her hair color is even less so. There is plenty to gripe about, but I don’t see the point of getting mad that they failed to adapt the unimportant hair color of a minor character, just because CDPR, a totally different company, gave her a larger role and a more iconic look in an alternate take on the universe.

the books until Celan gave visual proof of what I said all along, which is that the books say her hair is red.

Which isn’t the same as the red from the games. Which matters because the fiery red from the games is extremely memorable, like some one in a million shit that I’ve never even seen naturally and would turn the heads of anyone passing by. Chestnut red is significantly less noteworthy.