Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #1

I wonder if anyone actually hears the term “trophy hunter” and immediately thinks “Trump sons”. I didn’t even know they hunted.

I wonder if this person’s anger would extend to any of the non-European cultures that also trophy hunt. They seem to associate it with colonialism and oppressing natives for some reason.

• Haha 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I wonder if anyone actually hears the term “trophy hunter” and immediately thinks “Trump sons”. I didn’t even know they hunted.

I wonder if this person’s anger would extend to any of the non-European cultures that also trophy hunt. They seem to associate it with colonialism and oppressing natives for some reason.

It's utter nonsense. I don't see a problem as long as long as you kill cleanly, don't waste the animal, and be respectful towards the kill. Plenty of non-white cultures took hunting as tests to prove their masculinty and such, and yet all the writer is doing is screaming about trump, and colonialism (How does hunting have ANYTHING to do with that Colonialism?! I legit can't see it) 

Soon there's going to be articles complaining the DOOM marine is oppressing the Demons with his white privilege, and invading their territory...

I think he’s connecting it to colonialism because, I’m assuming since I haven’t played the game, you are traveling to a foreign land to kill things? I know the popular conception of trophy hunting is of Britich hunters im their pith helmets killing things for sport in Africa. Which is pretty heavily connected to Britain imperial age. But I don’t know if that connects at all to the game or if the only connection there is killing animals. 

17 minutes ago, BTCollins said:

I think he’s connecting it to colonialism because, I’m assuming since I haven’t played the game, you are traveling to a foreign land to kill things? I know the popular conception of trophy hunting is of Britich hunters im their pith helmets killing things for sport in Africa. Which is pretty heavily connected to Britain imperial age. But I don’t know if that connects at all to the game or if the only connection there is killing animals. 

If there’s more to the game than killing animals, then I could see it. Like if they’re actually killing natives or something. But if the chain of reasoning is actually-

Trophy hunting > British do that > Especially in the imperial age > they also oppressed natives in the imperial age > this game is racist and (obligatory) so is Donald Trump

-then it’s still a massive reach, honestly. Though I doubt too many people give this article much thought, or that any outrage actually exists among the gaming community. Pretty sure they come up with the most absurd stuff they can just to generate clicks from folks like us who will share it with our friends for a laugh.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Finally about to have the domain name changed... there sure is a lot of shit to tend to with having your own site but we're almost there. With that done, and the favicon and some of the emotes I think that's pretty much it. Then there's just us moving all the posts over which Doc has done a good job of doing so far. 

• Like 1

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

14 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Then there's just us moving all the posts over which Doc has done a good job of doing so far. 

I “remastered” chapter 1 a bit as I brought it over. Corrected some spelling, fixed all the formatting, changed [censored] to actual words, and combined some of those posts that were scattered about where one person would post just a sentence then we’d have another post with just the reply. It’s mostly the same otherwise (I did cut one post of a character that never showed up again, which we’d retconned anyway), but I think it reads a lot better. Feels more connected, like how we do posts now. Not as much cutting away from two characters mid-conversation to see what someone else is doing in another area.

Haven't done much work on chapter 2 formatting-wise, so far. Just been focused on bringing the posts over so we have them safe and sound. I’ll probably clean it up a bit too as copy-pasting everything tends to screw with the way some of it appears.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I “remastered” chapter 1 a bit as I brought it over. Corrected some spelling, fixed all the formatting, changed [censored] to actual words, and combined some of those posts that were scattered about where one person would post just a sentence then we’d have another post with just the reply. It’s mostly the same otherwise (I did cut one post of a character that never showed up again, which we’d retconned anyway), but I think it reads a lot better. Feels more connected, like how we do posts now. Not as much cutting away from two characters mid-conversation to see what someone else is doing in another area.

Haven't done much work on chapter 2 formatting-wise, so far. Just been focused on bringing the posts over so we have them safe and sound. I’ll probably clean it up a bit too as copy-pasting everything tends to screw with the way some of it appears.

You the man dude, thank you very much. 

• Like 1

Day three of playing Divinity 2: Original Sin wid my boi, and my warrior STILL has no boots XD My sexy redhead rogue does though. 

Granted we didn't get too far and we escaped as prisoners and are kinda still on the run but damn lol. Had the chance once but they were too expensive. Its the only thing that's bugging me lol. And it's not like I don't have a pair, it's just that they're locked by skill requirements usually for rogues. I don't need no stinkin finesse damnit.

Testing emoticon icons for forum, need fresh comment to be in color

edit: Duh it cant be mine lol. Anyway that's cool, can use emotes and pics for the forum icons instead of just the chat bubbles. 

I can change the images later if yall want but for now the emotes work. 

17 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Recently replaying Dawnguard made me realize something, you are forced to be very kind and respectful towards that Knight-Paladin or whatever the hell his name was Snow Elf.

If I'd have my way, my Nord character would piss in his face while recounting Songs of the Return.

You also are forced to not kill the heck outa Serana the moment you find her. You know, the vampire that you, the vampire hunter, went there in search of.

All in all I've written a ton about why I like that DLC, but there are a few moments where it counts on you not roleplaying a seemingly obvious roleplay choice, and it's kind of annoying. That, and the Volkihar not having their crazy ice powers are my two biggest complaints about it. The rest is great, in my opinion. Narrative and character-wise, it's the best story Bethesda's done in a long time. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

You also are forced to not kill the heck outa Serana the moment you find her. You know, the vampire that you, the vampire hunter, went there in search of.

All in all I've written a ton about why I like that DLC, but there are a few moments where it counts on you not roleplaying a seemingly obvious roleplay choice, and it's kind of annoying. That, and the Volkihar not having their crazy ice powers are my two biggest complaints about it. The rest is great, in my opinion. Narrative and character-wise, it's the best story Bethesda's done in a long time. 

It's better then Horse Armor :P

Nah I actually do like Dawnguard, it's just not the best for roleplaying any kind of Nord character. It really does have it's great moments too.

I've never actually played the Vampire side of the story, I finally was able to enjoy and use the Werewolf stuff for the Companions line instead of instantly working to cure the character. Maybe at some playthough in the future I'll try out their pov.