Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #42

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Maybe. Hard to check that when we’ve only got one Fallout show to go off.

But I’m not so bothered by it being silly and simple minded (though I’d prefer it be a little smarter than it is). I can deal with that. My anger comes from how it spitefully tore down the works of better creators just like Disney did to Star Wars.

This I can understand 

Tho in that example I cared less about that and more that the movie in general was ass. 

lol naruto did this too with Boruto. If the show was actually good, I wouldn’t mind as much. But it’s not XD

at least this is supposedly an enjoyable show.

Im honestly surprised @Celanwasnt bothered by the mr house stuff

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

However. I do think they’d lose most people with all the bear bull talk lmao of FNV.

I don’t think so. Not if it’s done well. Game of Thrones was the most popular show of all time in its heyday, and it had similar complexity to it. People love that shit when it’s done well.

But again, I don’t expect them to make the next New Vegas. I don’t expect them to tell a complex or even well-written story. My bar is waaaaay lower than that, and I could still like the show.

Going back to Star Wars as an example. I love the Prequels even though their writing often sucks and they are very silly and tonally inconsistent with the OT. They were fun, and they added some silly stuff, but they didn’t destroy what came before. They added to it with some respect.

But I hate the Sequels, because they didn’t just add silly and dumb stuff, but actively destroyed and disrespected what came before.

I would’ve been plenty happy to get a "Prequels" equivalent for Fallout that’s just some dumb fun, but instead what I got was the "Sequels" where it just kills everything.

2 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Take elder scrolls for instance. I think the only detail that would set me off from a tv show of tes would be Stormcloak related. Or shitting on Nord lord which is a central pillar of the lore imo

That’s literally what they do but the Fallout equivalent. The NCR is a far more significant element of this series than the Stormcloaks are to TES. Their development has basically been the main overarching story of the franchise in every game not made by Bethesda. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Why don't you watch the show first, before you judge Doc's reaction XD

To go off this more, I’m ready for the very real possibility that seeing how these things were implemented in the show will set me off lol. It is one thing being told that something was disrespected vs actually seeing it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Tho in that example I cared less about that and more that the movie in general was ass. 

That’s fair. I felt it was both, but when a movie or show is part of a larger continuity, then I feel like messing up that continuity can make it ass. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I don’t think so. Not if it’s done well. Game of Thrones was the most popular show of all time in its heyday, and it had similar complexity to it. People love that shit when it’s done well.

But again, I don’t expect them to make the next New Vegas. I don’t expect them to tell a complex or even well-written story. My bar is waaaaay lower than that, and I could still like the show.

Going back to Star Wars as an example. I love the Prequels even though their writing often sucks and they are very silly and tonally inconsistent with the OT. They were fun, and they added some silly stuff, but they didn’t destroy what came before. They added to it with some respect.

But I hate the Sequels, because they didn’t just add silly and dumb stuff, but actively destroyed and disrespected what came before.

I would’ve been plenty happy to get a "Prequels" equivalent for Fallout that’s just some dumb fun, but instead what I got was the "Sequels" where it just kills everything.

That’s literally what they do but the Fallout equivalent. The NCR is a far more significant element of this series than the Stormcloaks are to TES. Their development has basically been the main overarching story of the franchise in every game not made by Bethesda. 

Sure but Nord lore in general is what I meant by it being a pinnacle to tes lore. 

NCR I agree are a big deal but I didn’t think any of us were truly as invested in the future of the NCR, or Legion, or House as we were tes factions. I was wrong clearly. 

New Vegas sure, as that is directly tied to our character and the whole story. Only reason I care about the BoS is Maxson in 4

My investment in the Stormcloaks is high, but I’ve always had the deep down feeling that Skyrim will be their first and last game, because Bethesda won’t have the balls to bring them back. They’re virtually an RP faction to me at this point. XD 

But yeah, my investment in Fallout overall is a higher than TES. Particularly the NCR, Vegas, and the Legion. But sadly, I think all three are done for at this point.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I also feel like if Celan didn’t rage, I probably won’t either lol, we disagree about many things but usually if she’s pissed, I’m pissed lol

That’s what I figure. For what it’s worth, I hope you enjoy watching it. But if you don’t, I’ll make you a nice pretty name tag if you want to join my support group. XD 

• Haha 1

Me n doc talked on the phone about it… I understand better now. Especially with the revelation of the end of the season… oh boy 

Ima watch but I’m scared for season 2 and what that will do to the setting and new vegas

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

Honestly, I could forgive a lot of shit if not for what was done to the NCR. Three games of worldbuilding just undone off-screen for the sake of the show’s shitty random Vault-Tec plot. 

I'm not going to defend the show, especially with how passionate you all are about it. XD

However, I do think you were at least meant to feel something when Lucy looks at the NCR flag, hence Inon Zur music.

I do think that I'm not as upset about the developments because I have zero emotional connection to the NCR to begin with.

Loading screen tool tip thing:

”The Empire didn’t like that the Stormcloaks won so they conspired with the Psjic Monks to explode the eye of magnus over Windhelm. Skyrim and all its people no longer exist, all that’s left is a partly snowy wasteland with very little evidence it was ever actually populated”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fuck:dntknw:

43 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Loading screen tool tip thing:

”The Empire didn’t like that the Stormcloaks won so they conspired with the Psjic Monks to explode the eye of magnus over Windhelm. Skyrim and all its people no longer exist, all that’s left is a partly snowy wasteland with very little evidence it was ever actually populated”

To be fair tho, this would be a very big leap in tes since even red mountain didn’t totally fuck the dunmer, whereas in fallout it literally starts with a nuclear war lol.

1 hour ago, Celan said:

I'm not going to defend the show, especially with how passionate you all are about it. XD

However, I do think you were at least meant to feel something when Lucy looks at the NCR flag, hence Inon Zur music.

I do think that I'm not as upset about the developments because I have zero emotional connection to the NCR to begin with.

this except apply it to the whole series for me 

I do love new Vegas as a whole tho and don’t wanna see it disrespected

• Like 1

I’m prepared to be outraged if they fuck with New Vegas too much. But…

They were going to reset the games. This is well established pattern.

We don’t know that the whole NCR is gone, just Shady Sands. All those other people wouldn’t just disappear, though with no government it would be in fragmented form. Personally I am fine with that.

About the end reveal…

There is zero chance you could make a TV show depicting China attacking the US. I’m still confused about how Vault Tec would get access to the big red button. Also House is skeptical enough of the plan in that scene that I don’t interpret him as going along with the plan. That could change in a second season of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Celan said:

Oh definitely, but that scene didn’t work for me. Felt like watching Al Qaeda televise a sincere and emotional 9/11 memorial. XD 

Less hyperbolically, it reminds me of Disney trotting out old Star Wars characters to score nostalgia points, years after they already butchered and killed off said characters. Too little too late; we already know they don’t respect them, so it just comes across as hollow pandering.

3 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

To be fair tho, this would be a very big leap in tes since even red mountain didn’t totally fuck the dunmer, whereas in fallout it literally starts with a nuclear war lol.

I don’t follow. The Great War is the backdrop that creates the Fallout setting. Narratively, it’s more comparable to Lorkhan losing his heart in Convention than the Red Year destroying Morrowind. Big established factions don’t get deleted right and left in Fallout just because it happened to the prewar world. It was as unprecedented here as it would be in TES.

TES actually did this concept right by having the collapse of Morrowind occur as a result of the previous stories rather than in spite of them, while Skyrim and the novels thoroughly explored the fallout (:P) this event would realistically on Morrowind’s people and culture. It was a major progression of their story and lore, not just a handwavey regression where we’re just told "fuck those elves, they’re gone now, moving on".

I think @Centurion’s loading screen is the closest equivalent. "Fuck those Nords/NCR, they’re gone now, moving on".

2 hours ago, Celan said:

They were going to reset the games. This is well established pattern.

That’s a TES thing. No Fallout game has ever been reset. 1 > 2 > NV is basically an unbroken chain where each game builds off the last, and 4 directly carries on with the good ending from 3.

2 hours ago, Celan said:

We don’t know that the whole NCR is gone, just Shady Sands. All those other people wouldn’t just disappear, though with no government it would be in fragmented form. Personally I am fine with that.

Agreed, that’s why I think the show presenting us with a world that looks like the entire NCR has been dead for 60 years bugs me. It takes five episodes for there to even be an indication that the NCR ever existed in this setting, and the first people to even recognize them are a weird cult who could be generations removed for now different and weird they act.

I’d be a lot happier if the show was populated with battered NCR trying to hold together and pick up the pieces, rather than generic "wacky wasteland" Mad Max barbarians.

Closest we got was the final episode with the main villain and her goons, violent raiders with no apparent support from a larger NCR. But sadly, that didn’t last long as even they get killed off minutes after being properly introduced.

2 hours ago, Celan said:

There is zero chance you could make a TV show depicting China attacking the US. I’m still confused about how Vault Tec would get access to the big red button. Also House is skeptical enough of the plan in that scene that I don’t interpret him as going along with the plan. That could change in a second season of course.

If you can’t make a show of China attacking the US, then you really shouldn’t be adapting Fallout. Or at least if you are, you should skip to the post apocalypse and not bother with portraying the Great War. 

House raises an eyebrow at the feasibility of the plan but not much else. Far as I’m concerned, unless he actively tries to stop it in season 2, he’s as good as going along with it. It wouldn’t fix the scene for me by a long shot, as the whole thing is Institute levels of stupid evil, but it would at least salvage his character from the mess of it.

But I’m not prepared to assume the best will be done by these writers when they frankly haven’t earned that level of trust. I’m more prepared to take what they show us at face value until I’m given reason to believe otherwise.

@Celan Don’t think I mentioned it when we talked, but after Cooper in the #1 slot, I think Moldaver is handily my favorite character alongside Lucy.

My only problem with her is she didn’t think to unplug those evil pricks in Vault 31 and let them suffocate like happened in our vault at the start of Fallout 4. XD After one of them nuked NCR, letting them live seems like a huge mistake.

Apart from that hiccup, and just the weirdness of that sequence in Vault 33 in general, I’m pretty much on board with how she’s written. Understandable motives, relatively smart (except in the vault), and damn if I wasn’t rooting hard for her and her troops when the BoS showed up. Shame how it ended, though.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Art style looks great. I’ve heard Ori had really good gameplay, so this might be worth a look. 

Going to wait for the early access period to end XD But yeah, looks like a moving water painting.