Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #32

Fallout Show  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you hope the new Fallout tv show is set?

• The West (NCR, Vegas, etc)
    • The Midwest (Legion lands, Rogue BoS, etc.)
    • The East (Maxson's BoS, the Pitt, etc.)
    • Somewhere completely new

1 hour ago, The Good Doctor said:

I have only encountered like three bugs that I’ve noticed and none had any effect on the gameplay. Anything in the notes besides bug fixes? I would like it if they added a barber like in Witcher. XD 

No, it was just quest and performance fixes.

22 hours ago, The Good Doctor said:

I like it. Especially the Alduin bit. If they pull this off, it’ll be legendary.

So for a talking point, if y’all were given the freedom to remake Skyrim as you see fit, but without a total overhaul (broad strokes remain, like Alduin’s still the big bad, you’re still a Dragonborn, there’s still a civil war, etc.), what would you change? What would your main priorities be? 

Find some way to fix up the combat so it's not a lot wailing at hit points.

I agree with the bringing back of the Dragon Cult. Alduin trying to rebuild his power-base would give a clear reason for why he's not going around destroying everything. Maybe give Alduin a "I don't want to be the bad guy" reason for why he wants to conquer instead of destroying. That the gods are cruel and use him to wipe the board clean whenever they are bored with the current world.

Could even add a nice twist with both sides of the civil war courting Alduin in some vain attempt at what they think to be dragon mercenaries.

• Like 2

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

47 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I agree with the bringing back of the Dragon Cult. Alduin trying to rebuild his power-base would give a clear reason for why he's not going around destroying everything. Maybe give Alduin a "I don't want to be the bad guy" reason for why he wants to conquer instead of destroying.

I think one of the ways you could justify people flocking to Alduin or the Dragon Cult is fear or hatred of foreign enemies like the Empire or Thalmor. People who want to see Skyrim become a superpower in its own right might favor the dragons over Ulfric simply because they promise the power to destroy all of Skyrim’s perceived enemies. 

This could lead to an interesting dynamic where even the Thalmor would want the dragons gone, possibly resulting another unlikely alliance. Imagine Thalmor and Blades having to play nice because they hate and fear Alduin even more than each other.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

53 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Melee definitely could use an overhaul, but imo there’s a lot of room for improvement on magic as well. I wouldn’t mind seeing a casting system that’s more complex than 'click/hold button to produce effect'. 

Have you ever seen how reloading your guns works in Gears of War? I think I’d do something kinda that.

You can click once to cast a spell like normal, but it’s not at full strength. 

Alternatively, you can perform a second well-timed click to cast a much more powerful version of the spell.

If you mess up the timing, then the casting screws up. Failing with a low skill level can cause unwanted effects such as the spell backfiring. Failing with medium skill level causes the spell to not be cast at all. Failing with a higher skill level just results in a weakened version of the spell.

Higher skill levels also make the timing much easier. With a low skill (relative to the spell’s difficulty), it will be very difficult.

Not every spell type would work like this, though.

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I think one of the ways you could justify people flocking to Alduin or the Dragon Cult is fear or hatred of foreign enemies like the Empire or Thalmor. People who want to see Skyrim become a superpower in its own right might favor the dragons over Ulfric simply because they promise the power to destroy all of Skyrim’s perceived enemies. 

This could lead to an interesting dynamic where even the Thalmor would want the dragons gone, possibly resulting another unlikely alliance. Imagine Thalmor and Blades having to play nice because they hate and fear Alduin even more than each other.

That's an interesting idea. Though it could also lead to a situation where Alduin is not the big villain and more of a possible villain. Kinda like Caesar in New Vegas. I think I'd love to have Alduin give a philosophical reasoning for why he does what he does. Granted, it would require some pretty good writers to pull that off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Melee definitely could use an overhaul, but imo there’s a lot of room for improvement on magic as well. I wouldn’t mind seeing a casting system that’s more complex than 'click/hold button to produce effect'. 

Have you ever seen how reloading your guns works in Gears of War? I think I’d do something kinda that.

You can click once to cast a spell like normal, but it’s not at full strength. 

Alternatively, you can perform a second well-timed click to cast a much more powerful version of the spell.

If you mess up the timing, then the casting screws up. Failing with a low skill level can cause unwanted effects such as the spell backfiring. Failing with medium skill level causes the spell to not be cast at all. Failing with a higher skill level just results in a weakened version of the spell.

Higher skill levels also make the timing much easier. With a low skill (relative to the spell’s difficulty), it will be very difficult.

Not every spell type would work like this, though.

Not really sure how that would work with selling the arcane feeling. Though I guess using presentation and have arcane glyphs appear on screen as to give an indication of when the timing windows appear could work.

• Like 1

I think I’d have the Dragon Cult recruit based on that premise, and probably most of them even believe it. But I would have Alduin himself still be an apocalyptic god with plans to eat the world. Only his top priests would be aware of this, however.

Instead of having a worldly philosophical angle, I’d like to see Alduin or his priests try to make actual justifications for why the world should be eaten. Like without the kalpic cycle, something even worse than a reset will occur.

I doubt Bethesda ever go the C0DA/Landfall route, but that future is a legit decent argument for why we’re better off with a do-over. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Instead of having a worldly philosophical angle, I’d like to see Alduin or his priests try to make actual justifications for why the world should be eaten. Like without the kalpic cycle, something even worse than a reset will occur.

I doubt Bethesda ever go the C0DA/Landfall route, but that future is a legit decent argument for why we’re better off with a do-over. 

Imagine if Alduin, being a time god in some ways more powerful than Akatosh, knows that if a Kalpa continues too long it will almost certainly result in the Godhead waking up, or something catastrophic effecting the dream. Better to reset the world, then have all of existence be erased forever.

And besides from what we've seen, races despite being 'devoured' do seem to """""survive""""" Alduin's world eating. 

It's a weird angle presenting Alduin as a Thanos-like villain but I honestly think this approach works better then Thanos.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Not really sure how that would work with selling the arcane feeling. Though I guess using presentation and have arcane glyphs appear on screen as to give an indication of when the timing windows appear could work.

That’s what I’m thinking. Right now most magic is already pretty gamey, with it basically working like a gun that always 'fires' when you pull the trigger as long as you have enough 'ammo'. I’d have it so that your character actually has to perform little motions, forming glyphs and whatnot during this little delay.

Main thing is that I think potential spell failures should make a comeback, as they’re well-established in the lore. But I’d want it to be in a more dynamic way than they were in Morrowind so it can even be fun and not just an annoyance.

I like the idea that instead of *you have failed to cast this spell* you actually run the risk of blowing yourself up, summoning an unbound daedra who attacks everyone including you and your friends, reducing your stats instead of buffing them, etc.

To balance the volatility and risks, I think magic should be more powerful, with both the risks and the rewards being greater the more advanced the spell is. Especially since TES VI most likely won’t have Dragon Shouts, so there is again room for powerful magic.

Just now, TheCzarsHussar said:

For that matter, is there any evidence that anyone has ever achieved CHIM before the current Kalpa?

There isn’t even strong evidence that CHIM is a real thing that exists. Or that it actually grants anyone power if it does.

But to answer your question, I don’t think so. We know very little about prior kalpas though, so it’s hard to be sure. 

I kinda like the idea of a super mystic Dragon Cult. Beth like's fusing Eastern and Western influence into their races; the concept of CHIM reminds me of the Buddhist belief in Mu; nothingness. The goal is the achieve this nothingness but transcending the need for permanence and the requirements of the bitter life humans live; go past suffering and the human condition. Free from the thoughts binding you to mortal plane, you transend it something else. 

The Masks of the Dragon-Priest always reminded me of some weird Japanese Hannya mask. 

b2daf47e31bea4f380c16692ccc2c41e808e8032

Maybe infuses that idea; the cult could preach a state of Mu; nothingness that Alduin will provide and end mortal suffering. 

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Maybe infuses that idea; the cult could preach a state of Mu; nothingness that Alduin will provide and end mortal suffering. 

Problem is, that’s not really gonna be at all relatable to the fandom or the characters in-universe. People generally don’t want nothingness as a solution to hardship and suffering.

The Nords have a very cyclical worldview, so I think the whole 'eat the world, birth a new one' motive works better for Alduin. Especially if it can be revealed that he has a genuine reason for wanting this.

For an extreme example, the MQ of ESO has us opposing Molag Bal the whole time because duh. He’s pretty awful. But at the very end he reveals that his enslavement of Nirn would have protected us from far worse forces, and that we would come to regret the decision. Years later, those forces turned out to indeed be even more horrible (basically nonexistence), so Bal was right. Or he would’ve been if the Hero wasn’t unstoppable and able to thwart both.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Problem is, that’s not really gonna be at all relatable to the fandom or the characters in-universe. People generally don’t want nothingness as a solution to hardship and suffering.

The Nords have a very cyclical worldview, so I think the whole 'eat the world, birth a new one' motive works better for Alduin. Especially if it can be revealed that he has a genuine reason for wanting this.

For an extreme example, the MQ of ESO has us opposing Molag Bal the whole time because duh. He’s pretty awful. But at the very end he reveals that his enslavement of Nirn would have protected us from far worse forces, and that we would come to regret the decision. Years later, those forces turned out to indeed be even more horrible (basically nonexistence), so Bal was right. Or he would’ve been if the Hero wasn’t unstoppable and able to thwart both.

TES Lore Reddit, it's kinda of a hard idea to grasp XD

The problem I have with these kinds of villain's is kind of apathy it introduces; "I'm killing billions to save trillions!". The "Oh he's actually well-intentioned! Guys can't you see the moral complexity" while I'm thinking he "still killed billions" If the writers are trying to make this monster sympathetic by making him in the right and a world were it's justified to kill billions of people, why should I care about the story and world at all XD It just seems ridiculous they tried to pull a "He was actually doing what he thought was good!" with the King of Fucking Rape. 

16 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I haven't kept up with ESO's story, could you give me a tl;dr?

After we defeat Molag Bal, the next several expansions focus on a seperate Daedric plot by Mephala, Clavicus Vile, and Nocturnal to take control over the Crystal Tower. In the end, it’s revealed that Nocturnal was the mastermind and she ends up betraying the other two Princes after getting what she wants.

Nocturnal intended to use the Crystal Tower to basically remake reality and make herself an infinite being across all dimensions and universes. Basically, there would’ve been nothing left aside from Nocturnal. Not even Oblivion.

It’s pretty over the top, imo. But I guess they wrote themselves into a corner when they had the Lord of Torture and Rape say that his rule would’ve been preferable over what awaited. Hard to achieve that without basically threatening to delete the universe. 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If the writers are trying to make this monster sympathetic by making him in the right

I’m not asking for the villain to be in the right. He’s the villain. The game is still about stopping him, and that’s why I’d keep him as World Eater instead of making him just another conqueror. He needs to be stopped.

But that doesn’t mean he has to be completely 1-dimensional. All I want is a justification for his actions that goes beyond "well it’s what he does".