Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #32

Fallout Show  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you hope the new Fallout tv show is set?

• The West (NCR, Vegas, etc)
    • The Midwest (Legion lands, Rogue BoS, etc.)
    • The East (Maxson's BoS, the Pitt, etc.)
    • Somewhere completely new

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Yeah, I think each faction got a handful of important NPC's, including a Thalmor hunter that hunts you throughout the MC. Making the Thalmor a full on antagonist is a pretty cool decision. 

EC_CharacterFeatureMira.png?width=406&he

One of the examples they gave of integration and expansion is you need to work with the Penitus Oculatus to get access to the Thalmor Embassy; and it has a bunch of unique "clenched teamwork" interactions if your character is a Stormcloak.

Some more ones; Miraak and Alduin have unique lieutenants that have mini arcs. 

EC_CharacterFeatureSols3.png?width=406&h

EC_CharacterFeatureSols1b.png?width=406&

I wish we saw more of the big baddy's lieutenants/actually had confidants.

All we really have is Nahkriin which we know absolutely null about, I hope the mod expands on what should be the most powerful 'living' Dragon Priest in Alduin's service.

• Like 1

I noticed the Thalmor Inquisitor is a member of the Divine Prosecution. That’s some lore introduced by ESO. Nice to see it.

Even Miraak’s dragon sounds like more of a character than Alduin. :P 

• Haha 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I wish we saw more of the big baddy's lieutenants/actually had confidants.

All we really have is Nahkriin which we know absolutely null about, I hope the mod expands on what should be the most powerful 'living' Dragon Priest in Alduin's service.

That’s something Morrowind and even Oblivion did better.

In MW, we could speak to all of Dagoth Ur’s lieutenants, who each had their own personality. We could even share an ancient bottle of brandy with one before fighting him.

Oblivion gave us Mannimarco and both of his kids, all of whom were distinct enough. Not to mention lots of Mythic Dawn sleeper agents were intractable characters before the point in the MQ where they start attacking people.

In Skyrim, the only MQ villains with any character at all are Alduin and Odahviing. Alduin sucked and Odahviing was only a villain for like five seconds.

• Like 2

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

We could even share an ancient bottle of brandy with one before fighting him.

Which one was that if you remember? I'd love to look at his uesp page XD

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

In Skyrim, the only MQ villains with any character at all are Alduin and Odahviing. Alduin sucked and Odahviing was only a villain for like five seconds.

At the point in the MQ where we encounter Nahkriin, I'd have loved if instead of spouting off one line about guarding the portal; he instead levitates to our character and engages in a brief conversation. By this point in time, our player is powerful enough to throw down Alduin and being a powerful tongue, I'd imagine Nahkriin would recognize the strength of our character's voice.

Imagine having a Legate Lanius level of options and choices to debate with. This would have been the perfect moment to show off the Dragon Priests are actually ya know, Priests. Have a debate with an ancient Nordic lich on the Voice before doing battle as equals.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

The cult element of Mehunes Dagon was pretty well-developed and you got decent characterization from all of it's followers through the MC, even though Dagon...was Dagon. On the other hand Alduin sucked ass, and the elements around him sucked ass too. 

Agreed. Though in all fairness, despite their decent characterizations, the Mythic Dawn’s goal itself was really weird and nebulous, and the game doesn’t make it clear at all why they believe or behave the way you do. The answers exist in the confusing and obscure Mythic Dawn Commentaries that 1% of players will ever read, but it would’ve been nice to get more defined explanations from the characters. 

1 minute ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Which one was that if you remember? I'd love to look at his uesp page XD

I can’t remember his name. If you don’t mind searching, look up the named Ash Vampires and go through their pages. He was one of the ones Vivec suggests you to eliminate in the Red Mountain campaign.

I like it. Especially the Alduin bit. If they pull this off, it’ll be legendary.

So for a talking point, if y’all were given the freedom to remake Skyrim as you see fit, but without a total overhaul (broad strokes remain, like Alduin’s still the big bad, you’re still a Dragonborn, there’s still a civil war, etc.), what would you change? What would your main priorities be? 

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I like it. Especially the Alduin bit. If they pull this off, it’ll be legendary.

So for a talking point, if y’all were given the freedom to remake Skyrim as you see fit, but without a total overhaul (broad strokes remain, like Alduin’s still the big bad, you’re still a Dragonborn, there’s still a civil war, etc.), what would you change? What would your main priorities be? 

You already know I think having Alduin's ghost summoned would be a much cooler concept/boss than a regular ass dragon battle from vanilla.

In fact instead of trying to give Alduin character like him rebelling from his 'father' Aka-Tusk/Akatosh, I'd have him be this horrifying primordial force he has always been described as in lore. Imagine this impending doom over the horizon that instead of Alduin being present from the beginning of the game, it's this knowledge that his coming is near.

That at the end of the game, his ghost bursts through the veil and begins devouring creation. Instead of Dragonrend simply making him land, I'd say have the shout force a physical form to Alduin albeit temporary.

• Like 1

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

*put in 20 seconds of work*

That’s it. We now have Colonel’s ideal Skyrim. XD 

He just needs to install a single mod XD

d0ENZ5zRDg7UAvii1x9RXIfecP-5NaPfFxZW2iir

I think the idea was for SC being able to recruit Giants, and the Imperials being able to get Orc berserkers (which is not nearly as cool but still badass.) 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

The flaming bear is a little weird but I’m sure there’s some context for it. XD The others look great, though.

The mage set it on fire XD

3 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

You already know I think having Alduin's ghost summoned would be a much cooler concept/boss than a regular ass dragon battle from vanilla.

In fact instead of trying to give Alduin character like him rebelling from his 'father' Aka-Tusk/Akatosh, I'd have him be this horrifying primordial force he has always been described as in lore. Imagine this impending doom over the horizon that instead of Alduin being present from the beginning of the game, it's this knowledge that his coming is near.

That at the end of the game, his ghost bursts through the veil and begins devouring creation. Instead of Dragonrend simply making him land, I'd say have the shout force a physical form to Alduin albeit temporary.

I like this. I agree on keeping Alduin as a ghost until the climax. I’d probably have him appear in his ethereal form at certain points in the MQ just so he doesn’t end up like Mehrunes and only get five minutes of screen time at the end.

Unrelated to the story (which would be many) I'd like some more mega-fauna in the game. They did it with the Saber-Cats and Mammoths, but I think they'd half-assed it. I really like the prehistoric feeling the giants give.  Imagine if these things were running around XD 

andrewsarchus_by_maquenda_d8isuyb-350t.j

081220_bb_rhino_feat-1028x579.jpgsloth.jpg

I like this. I agree on keeping Alduin as a ghost until the climax. I’d probably have him appear in his ethereal form at certain points in the MQ just so he doesn’t end up like Mehrunes and only get five minutes of screen time at the end.

I mean he becomes a giant Kajui and destroys half the Imperial City XD It's style over substance, but hell if that aint style. Alduin wrecks a tiny town....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Dagon doesn't work because you cannot fight him, or at least beat him without doing some CHIM level fuckery that causes him to melt like hot plastic. Which might as well be canon in another Dragon Break XD

I'd not have Alduin show up at all until the final battle, but unlike Dagon; YOU have to do battle with him. One way to show Alduin before the showdown would be to have him harrowing Sovngarde like in vanilla. Except instead of eating lost souls in a mist, he's single handedly attacking the Hall of Valor with all the greatest tongues of the Kalpa just barely able to hold back his onslaught.

If I could make Skyrim, the main thing I’d work on changing would be the factions. I’d have them all be way more prominent and have their storylines interact with each other and the MQ.

Most important one would be the Dragon Cult, who I’d expand a lot, and have modern living Nords running off to join them out of reverence, fear, or desire for power. They would be rebuilding their old temples and fortresses, placating the dragons, and building up a powerful third Nordic faction led by dragons and the dragon priests, who would have actual characters and be active in the world.

The civil war would become three-way, with the Cult becoming a recognized problem for both the Imperials and the Stormcloaks. Season Unending would still happen, but instead of randomly tying the civil war into the MQ at the final hour, it would be the culmination of a long campaign, and it would have the two sides temporarily setting aside their differences to fight a common enemy. Instead of agreeing to a cease-fire while the Dragonborn does all the work, Ulfric and Tullius would actually help, and in fact be instrumental in defeating the Cult.

I’d definitely want more impactful twists too. Like, I’d definitely tie Potema into the narrative as an additional dragonborn should be huge. Instead of us being declared the Last Dragonborn from the get-go, it should’ve been left up in the air if that honor would go to us, Miraak, or the returning Wolf Queen, with followers of each (yes, we should have followers, worshippers even) hailing their DB as the one destined to defeat Alduin.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

One way to show Alduin before the showdown would be to have him harrowing Sovngarde like in vanilla. Except instead of eating lost souls in a mist, he's single handedly attacking the Hall of Valor with all the greatest tongues of the Kalpa just barely able to hold back his onslaught.

Funnily enough, I typed up this exact idea on teslore a few weeks back.

" It would’ve been so much more impressive if we arrived to find Sovngarde in ruins and the Hall of Valor under siege, constantly bombarded with Alduin’s meteors and thu’um while Tsun and only the greatest remaining warriors just barely manage to hold him back with their own Voices. We could be greeted upon arrival by any combination of the three Tongues from the base game, only to watch them get devoured at some point before our eyes. In the end, we face Alduin alone, saving not just the mortal realm, but Sovngarde as well. "

• Like 1

Most important one would be the Dragon Cult, who I’d expand a lot, and have modern living Nords running off to join them out of reverence, fear, or desire for power. They would be rebuilding their old temples and fortresses, placating the dragons, and building up a powerful third Nordic faction led by dragons and the dragon priests, who would have actual characters and be active in the world.

It seems like Bethesda almost went with Skuldafn being restored. Compared to all the other ancient ruins, that's the most well preserved. With only some decay from toppled pillars/monolithic statues likely caused by the dragons flying around. Would that location be the central point of the reemerging Dragon Cult in your rendition?

What role would Miraak have in all of it? Imagine a civil war within the cult as Miraak returns into the fold and begins exerting his will. Miraak would be far more powerful than any of the other dragon priests baring Nahkriin (who in my rendition would be one of the most powerful enemies we would fight before Alduin). Miraak was always mumbling about how he'd return and rule, this would be a prime opportunity to have him actually wrest control from the resurrected old guard.

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Funnily enough, I typed up this exact idea on teslore a few weeks back.

Reveal hidden contents

" It would’ve been so much more impressive if we arrived to find Sovngarde in ruins and the Hall of Valor under siege, constantly bombarded with Alduin’s meteors and thu’um while Tsun and only the greatest remaining warriors just barely manage to hold him back with their own Voices. We could be greeted upon arrival by any combination of the three Tongues from the base game, only to watch them get devoured at some point before our eyes. In the end, we face Alduin alone, saving not just the mortal realm, but Sovngarde as well. "

Goddamn that is so much cooler and better storytelling then what we got to see. Fucking hell Bethesda

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I’d definitely want more impactful twists too. Like, I’d definitely tie Potema into the narrative as an additional dragonborn should be huge. Instead of us being declared the Last Dragonborn from the get-go, it should’ve been left up in the air if that honor would go to us, Miraak, or the returning Wolf Queen, with followers of each (yes, we should have followers, worshippers even) hailing their DB as the one destined to defeat Alduin.

You need to email Todd this stuff just to make him jealous XD

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Unrelated to the story (which would be many) I'd like some more mega-fauna in the game. They did it with the Saber-Cats and Mammoths, but I think they'd half-assed it. I really like the prehistoric feeling the giants give.  Imagine if these things were running around XD 

081220_bb_rhino_feat-1028x579.jpg

There is a mod that adds wooly rhinos like this. I use it, frost giants, and a few others that don’t feel out of place to give Skyrim some more unique wildlife.

Sadly, there are no proper snow whale mods that I’m aware of. That might honestly be the concept that I’m saddest to have been cut.