Soulsborne Thread #7 (And Sekiro and Elden Ring and other shiet)

One character I wish we knew about or at least saw once was Allfather Lloyd, who was supposedly Gwyn's uncle. Which to me raises the question if Lloyd was around from the last cycle of flame.

My personal headcanon is that Lloyd was a prominent figure in the age preceding Ds1's who ruled a kingdom in an age of dark as an enemy of man, and once Gwyn came about he allied with him instead of being his father's brother. Guiding and whispering of how they must oppress man to the more powerful Gwyn.

9 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

One character I wish we knew about or at least saw once was Allfather Lloyd, who was supposedly Gwyn's uncle. Which to me raises the question if Lloyd was around from the last cycle of flame.

My personal headcanon is that Lloyd was a prominent figure in the age preceding Ds1's who ruled a kingdom in an age of dark as an enemy of man, and once Gwyn came about he allied with him instead of being his father's brother. Guiding and whispering of how they must oppress man to the more powerful Gwyn.

I don’t believe there was ever an Age of Dark before DS1. Gwyn an co. were the first to usher in an Age of Fire, and they’re still holding onto it til the end of the game.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

The eternal cycle stuff was brought in by Dark Souls 2, and later told to be caused by the First Sin in the Crown's DLC.

It was made clear in Dark Souls 1 the only thing before the Age of Fire was the Age of Fog (*Cough* and the age of Demon's Souls *cough*) and there was none of the "Oh everything keeps repeating itself!" found in Dark Souls 2 and to a lesser extent Dark Souls 3. I mean it's very meta everytime you change/alter the age of fire a little part of it's soul dies, just like Dark Soul's lore. I LIKE it, but it doesn't change the fact 2 built off from 1's lore in a very weird , sometimes artificial ways.

Kinda reminds of the situation from the new Star Wars trilogy (just the Dark Souls games are actually good). Just to a much lesser extent in terms of everything. You got one trilogy, two directors who stuff kinda clashes. Then the OG director returns and tries to akwardly patch things up. Though Rise of Skywalker was a cinematic failure, and Dark Souls 3 was a very good, but somewhat awkward sequel. 

• Like 1

Even in DS2, I got the impression that the (alleged) cycle still began after Dark Souls 1. I figured they only did that so they could keep from establishing a canon ending to the first game. Basically "he could’ve rekindled the flame or let it go out, doesn’t matter because it would’ve come back eventually".

Though personally, I don’t buy into the idea that there have been any cycles at ally and I think DS3 ditched the notion. There is way too much evidence in DS3 that it is set at the end of the same Age as DS1 (and DS2), and that the fire has just been rekindled over and over throughout all that time, never going out. There has never been an Age of Darkness, and there only ever will be if the Ashen One allows it at the end of 3. It is possible that the Fire could return after that, in which case a cycle could be possible. But it has never happened yet.

Though whatever the case, there was no cycle of Flame before the one we see in DS1, which is the one Gwyn and his posse created.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Even in DS2, I got the impression that the (alleged) cycle still began after Dark Souls 1. I figured they only did that so they could keep from establishing a canon ending to the first game. Basically "he could’ve rekindled the flame or let it go out, doesn’t matter because it would’ve come back eventually".

Though personally, I don’t buy into the idea that there have been any cycles at all. There is way too much evidence that DS3 is set at the end of the same Age as DS1, and that the fire has just been rekindled over and over throughout all that time, never going out. There has never been an Age of Darkness, and there only ever will be if the Ashen One allows it in 3.

If there is a cycle, I don’t think it has happened yet, and may only potentially occur following 3.

I mean there's the whole Untended Grave things, but I think Ludleth was implied to have invalidated that Age of Dark by sealing it away, and breaking time by linking the fire himself through sheer willpower. (Then again, I don't think anyone has fully explained what the fuck the Untended Graves really mean) So an Age of Dark happened for at least a little bit. 

18 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I mean there's the whole Untended Grave things, but I think Ludleth was implied to have invalidated that Age of Dark by sealing it away, and breaking time by linking the fire himself through sheer willpower. (Then again, I don't think anyone has fully explained what the fuck the Untended Graves really mean) So an Age of Dark happened for at least a little bit. 

There isn’t nearly enough lore behind the Untended Grave to really make a concrete determination about it, at least not as far as I’m aware. But even based on this theory, it seems more like it was a brief flicking off of the light switch than an Age. And it still comes after DS1.

But the way 3 tied everything together, I felt like it was fairly clear that everything that has happened has been part of the same Age. You can see how every event tracks together, and most of the weirdness is due to the passing of time and the converging of lands and warping of reality that occurs when the Fire grows dim.

You've never actually played Dark Souls till you experienced a literal blizzard in which respawning demonic reindeer chase you through the largest area in the series, in which you have no vision, the place is filled with traps and frozen nightmares, and proves, once and for all, that humanity is evil from invading trolls who use the area as a playground for there sick pleasure. 

Enjoy Cyberpunk instead of this masterpiece XD

• Thanks 1

Imagine spending decades worshiping some dark, eldritch god, committing countless atrocities for the sake of enlightenment, and give up all your morals...and as a reward they turn you into this dinky looking Ayyyyyyyy E.T motherfucker and your the laughing stock of the Eldritch pantheon XD

16+-+Celestial+Emissary.jpg

• Haha 2

Oh my god finally XD

I'm doing an sl1 run since last night (bad sleeping schedule) and had only Manus, Kalameet and Gywn left.

Because I completely forgot about crown of dusk until after starting DLC, I didnt have that to help beat Manus. So after like thirty attempts I finally beat him traditionally. 

After cyclops dragon and pling ping pong, I'll have beaten ds1 at sl1.

Woke up.

Died to black knights when I tried running to Gwyn.

Killed every black knight on the way to gwyn.

Uploaded my save data to cut down on the journey.

Completely forgot all of gwen's parry timings and died several times like a scrub. 

Beat gwyn by parrying him twice and sizzling his nordic berries.

With some minor exceptions Ds1 is easier then Ds3's SL1 run (which is still ongoing from laziness)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

With some minor exceptions Ds1 is easier then Ds3's SL1 run (which is still ongoing from laziness)

I can believe it. DS3 bosses are so much quicker in general. That’s manageable when you can build your character to fight it. Less so when you die in one hit.