Soulsborne Thread #7 (And Sekiro and Elden Ring and other shiet)

29 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Decided to replay Dark Souls 1 and try to get Kaathe. As I'm playing I remember why I put the game down a few times: I really hate the trek back to the bosses.

All the shortcuts help but yeah there are some brutal ones. BB and DS3 were much more forgiving in that regard.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

DS3 is TOO forgiving. You know there's one spot where you there's THREE bonfires right after the other a few meters apart? 

While there were some silly placements in DS3, I'll still take an overabundance of bonfires to having to spend several minutes getting back to a boss.

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Nah, it's there as a punishment. It's checkpoint starvation. It also lets you think on your way back on new ways to deal with the boss, encourages map memorization, and reminds me of a Survival Horror game in which checkpoints are a gameplay mechanic rather then just a means of saving 

2 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

I prefer gameplay that is challenging rather than punishing. Having to go through what is essentially arbitrary wait times to get back to what you failed at isn't fun.

A game needs to have punishing aspects to be challenging. 

You die, you get punished for it. Simple as that. 

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

A game needs to have punishing aspects to be challenging. 

You die, you get punished for it. Simple as that. 

Not really. The boss is reset and wont become any easier or harder just because you get to it faster or slower. The trek just makes the act of getting to try again become trite.

Edited by Witchking of Angmar

2 minutes ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Not really. The boss is reset and wont become any easier or harder just because you get to it faster or slower. The trek just makes the act of getting to try again become trite.

No. You potentially loose your souls/blood stain, you are required to trek through the area to get back, and you are encouraged to be more careful. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

No. You potentially loose your souls/blood stain, you are required to trek through the area to get back, and you are encouraged to be more careful. 

I don't think anyone cares about souls when you're focusing solely on taking down a boss. I actively get rid of as many souls as possible before going up against a boss. At that point I just want to get back and try again. Having to go over what is essentially a long speed bump on the way is just irritating padding.

1 hour ago, Witchking of Angmar said:

Right... At least FromSoft realized the pointless waste of having long treks to bosses. Otherwise they wouldn't have shortened them so much in their subsequent games.

To be fair, their next game was Dark Souls 2 and the boss runs were way worse in that game than in any other. 

I think DS1 was okay. As far as I remember, the longest essential bonfire to boss run in the game is the Capra Demon, which was a little longer than I’m willing to put up with, but otherwise I don’t think most of them were excessive. I like having a bit of a run exist so that discovering shortcuts feels more rewarding.

Though generally, having long runs for really difficult bosses can be a little over the top. I remember the one for the Martyr in Bloodborne being a pain in the ass. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

To be fair, their next game was Dark Souls 2 and the boss runs were way worse in that game than in any other. 

I think DS1 was okay. As far as I remember, the longest essential bonfire to boss run in the game is the Capra Demon, which was a little longer than I’m willing to put up with, but otherwise I don’t think most of them were excessive. I like having a bit of a run exist so that discovering shortcuts feels more rewarding.

Though generally, having long runs for really difficult bosses can be a little over the top. I remember the one for the Martyr in Bloodborne being a pain in the ass. 

And there was no less then two shortcuts to the Capra Demon you could find. Again, BB and D1 are interwoven with so many branching paths. Your encouraged to memorise map design through your head, which games very rarely do. 

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

And there was no less then two shortcuts to the Capra Demon you could find. 

I was counting the shortcuts. Even with them, the Capra Demon run is pretty long. Especially when it is one of the game’s weaker and arguably less fair boss fights.

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

BB and D1 are interwoven with so many branching paths. Your encouraged to memorise map design through your head, which games very rarely do. 

This is true, and one of the reasons I love these games and rank them higher than the rest. But they’re not flawless. I think the run to Artorias was pretty bad too. 

29 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I was counting the shortcuts. Even with them, the Capra Demon run is pretty long. Especially when it is one of the game’s weaker and arguably less fair boss fights.

This is true, and one of the reasons I love these games and rank them higher than the rest. But they’re not flawless. I think the run to Artorias was pretty bad too. 

No game is XD Except Pong. 

Curious, I thought you never played Artorias of the Abyss?