Roleplayer’s Off Ropic Thread #22

Balrog Didn’t Want a Poll  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Balrog Didn’t Want a Poll

• So here it is.
    • Suck it.
    • Skyrim belongs to the Nords.

6 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Which of our RP characters do you take on a dungeon delve into a cultist and abomination infested ruin? You can take four. Describe your party. 

Things to watch out for and manage, stress, sanity, defensive and offensive capabilities,supplies. 

Rather than make a party I’ll just go through my characters.

Gracchus is second or third row fighter, most at home at the third. Higher offensive than defensive skill, most effective attacks are his fire ones obviously. He’s a great party de-stresser, with a Reassuring Presence ability that lowers stress for everyone but him when in combat. Veteran’s Intuition keeps damage from critical attacks from hurting him as much. Battlemage Commander lets him pair well with other magic users with a small attack buff.

Tacitus is a very susceptible to stress but a good frontline fighter. Low defense high offense, with great knockback abilities with his dwarven fist. No stress healing abilities, but he does have an attack called Vengeance. If an enemy hits him and Tacitus uses Vengeance in retaliation, that enemy is marked and Tacitus can’t attack anyone else until that enemy is dead. But he does increased damage against it. 

Theo is at home in the second row, since he’s got good reach with his greatsword. Got good defense too with his plate armor. He’s most useful since he can stress out enemies using Schemer. It allows him to select a party member, including himself, and any stress gain they get is doubled upon the enemy who did it. He has a similar rest ability, which allows him to redistribute the stress of his compatriots, but not get rid of it. He also has a minor stress buff in combat called Liar’s Speech.

Morane’s Shadow Step ability gives lets her attack from the very front or very back and end up at the opposite. So if she starts out at front, and she’s quick so usually acts first, she can Shadow Step attack on an enemy and then she’ll go to the back of the party. Or vice versa, though she’s got low defense (but high dodge) so that’s not recommended. Only has destressing abilities in a party with another shadow mage or dark magic user, called Friendly Rivalry, when she banters with the other mage to lower their collective stress. Her Shadow Drain ability lets her take health from enemies and heal herself. Susceptible to the Loner trait if she adventures too long without another dark mage. She has great range though with her teleport abilities, ability to attack back rows all day long. 

Edited by BTC
  • Like 2

This was a fun idea Balrog!

You know what we could do? Once everyone who want to does this, we get them all together and stick them at the beginning of the next thread with a poll where people pick who they want for each of the four spots. 

Edited by BTC
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Which of our RP characters do you take on a dungeon delve into a cultist and abomination infested ruin? You can take four. Describe your party. 

Things to watch out for and manage, stress, sanity, defensive and offensive capabilities,supplies. 

Yornar would say fuck to dungeon delving and instead set up shop selling overpriced enchantments for trinkets as well as providing magical consumables. Such as a spell that lets a party member revive as an undead if they die and finish the run with one more chance, but will die permanently once the run is complete. 

Karsh would be a trinket that massively increases scouting chance and reduces ambush chance. Downside he also provides a party-wide stress increase. Can be bought at Yornar's shop and in case of loss he will show up at the shop for repurchase. 

Stalks would be a bounty hunter like character that that fights from second or third row and focuses on single target attacks with his bow and spear. Got some potions buffs and poison attacks. 

As for standard party composition I'd have Boldir in the front because the bastard just wont die. Switch between Rebec, Baldur and Stalks for second row damage dealer depending on which enemies to expect. Third row for a healer, which I don't think if we got any characters for. Fourth row is my long range fighter that is either Gracchus, Veleda or Morane. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Power corrupts, absolute power... is a whole lot of fun!

Be mindful if you use Boldir with non Nords, his berserk ability is to be avoided in their presence lest the milk drinkers rout in fear! I’ll let Doc decide his own abilities.

Remember you can have like six powers but only slot four.

Baldur if in third or fourth spot can attack the back two ranks with fireball, and the front two individually or all first three with a Fire ability, for less damage. Other abilities are his bard singing which activates his riposte, lessens stress and heightens his evasion, basic melee attack, and an axe throwing attack which only works from the front position or second position, and attack’s the back row. Choose your skills wisely.

For him I’m slotting his almost OP bard skill for simultaneous stress heal and riposte when attacked, and then aiding Boldir with the damage dealing in the second row. 

Rebec shares the same axe throwing ability, has her thu’um stunning ability from the first two rows which also debuffs, her crossbow she can use in the third or last position and her whirlwind sprint ability which I explained earlier. Crossbow debuffs heavy armored targets.

Also a basic melee attack.

Rebec I’ll have as the stun locker and debuffer of the party, then focus on the back ranks, depending which is the bigger priority. 

Boldir will likely put a shield on Rebec as his first move, or the healer/mage, then punish the front line specifically with his battle axe, especially with his berserk skill.

Ill have Ysana be our healer who also has a decent Ice spike ability but nothing special. 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

I kinda did decide Boldirs abilities already lol... oops XD I’m sleepy.

Kinda already said this but gave more detail

Edit: to clarify, Baldur has to be in slot one to attack all the first three, slot three or four to attack the back two, and slot two attacks individual targets and does the most damage of all the fire abilities.

edit edit: he can attack individual targets from slot three as well.

Yornar if a character cannot be paired with elves at all XD Or, can kill an elven character to completely heal himself, including stress.

Rebec needs to cause extra stress damage for elves and Bretons if she’s too stressed 

So if paired with Gracchus for instance you gotta be especially careful.

Baldur being a sadist I guess I should have deal bleed damage with his basic attack and riposte instead of criticals.

and that applies too if he’s stressed and attacks his own party lol.

Edit: in fact, Rebec gets an automatic plus ten stress with an elf or Breton in the party and vice versa

Boldir gets extra stress damage from undead

8 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I already tried this in the RP with a warrior, a priestess, an archer, and a knight. It worked well at first but they were way underleveled for the deeper layers and ultimately got their asses kicked when they reached the dungeon boss. XD Off the top of my head, characters with good dungeon delving track records are Baldur, Rebec, Mazoga, Endar, Yornar, Maggie, Brund, and Stalks-Deep-Waters. So they are worth considering.

• Haha 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Brund is too op for dungeon delving. With what he did to those Falmer he should be a dungeon boss in blackreach.

So are Endar and Yornar, I reckon. I was just naming the ones I could think of. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Doc and I gave basically put together an adventuring group right now with Falcon a front line fighter, Asgen a second, Damon a bard with buffs and debuffs, and then Morane and Faida bringing the spells from the back. 

• Like 1

My party (excluding OP characters) would be Asgen in the front, then Baldur or Rebec behind him, Faida in the third row, and Veleda in the back.

Asgen has good defense, dodge, and a high % chance to hit, albeit dealing less damage than Boldir. He is intended to be paired with Faida and gains additional boosts from her buffs. He has a taunt ability that can draw agro towards him and pairs really well with Faida's buffs. Has very high sanity and stress resistance, but if Faida dies, it's the opposite and he will become very difficult to manage.

Colonel already laid out Baldur and Rebec's stuff quite well. I'd want them for damage and versatility. And Baldur to reduce stress as a bard.

Faida is primarily a support character who provides defensive and increased % chance to hit buffs on everyone. She can heal, but not as effectively as a designated healer. If facing undead, she can use her turn to target one and make it attack any of its allies. If someone permanently dies, she can raise them as a ghost that dies in one hit. Same sanity and stress pros and cons as Asgen, so it's important to keep both of them standing.

Veleda in the back because she's got a good arsenal of ranged attacks. I don't know what it would be called, but I feel like she'd have some sort of trait that could help people with sanity as well. "Levelheadedness" or something like that.

• Like 2

Faida's buffs would be very powerful, but because it's witchcraft, they come with the drawback of potentially reducing sanity or increasing stress of anyone besides Asgen or other 'dark magic' characters like Morane or Theudofrid. Both twins consume an average amount of supplies.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BTC said:

Doc and I gave basically put together an adventuring group right now with Falcon a front line fighter, Asgen a second, Damon a bard with buffs and debuffs, and then Morane and Faida bringing the spells from the back. 

I said this in the PM, but being in your party for this High Rock stuff feels a lot like I'm playing a classic RPG campaign and you're the GM (DM?). I only control my own characters and have no idea where the plot will go or what obstacles you're going to throw at me. It's a lot of fun.

• Like 1

One of Gracchus's abilities is Firestorm, which targets all enemies but with a lower chance to hit. He'd probably also have a very minor healing ability, sorta like the Darkest Dungeon crusader does. Tacitus probably has an ability were he lowers his sanity and/or increases his stress in order to do extra damage. Theo has a similar ability but he lowers another character's sanity and/or increases their stress in order to deal more damage. Morane would have some sort of paralysis (stun) spell. 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I said this in the PM, but being in your party for this High Rock stuff feels a lot like I'm playing a classic RPG campaign and you're the GM (DM?). I only control my own characters and have no idea where the plot will go or what obstacles you're going to throw at me. It's a lot of fun.

That's great because I really wanted to capture that classic fantasy quest feel, with characters who are definitely not classic fantasy heroes lol. I'm excited for all the fun stuff they're gonna get up to and how the Tynes throw my plans outta whack and how I'll adapt to them

Edited by BTC
  • Haha 1

It's been a while since I played Darkest Dungeon so those who have more recently (and more, since I never finished it either) feel free to suggest any other abilities for my characters

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Does Theodore have high supply consumption because he clearly eats a lot, or low consumption because being fat means he can go longer without it? :P 

Yes. Every time they camp there's a chance he'll either eat a lot or not need to eat anything. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

This’ll be fun to read through but just wanna take a break to say she’s sexier than I imagined XD my ffl and gun shop owner were both impressed lol

Also my ffl went hunting in africa

I’m giving you 48 hours to post a video of you shooting it. 

And now I’m jealous of the ffl guy. I wanna hunt a warthog. I wonder if they taste the same as normal hogs.

• Haha 1