Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #29

Dead Pool- Who will not make it through chapter 4? (choose 3)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Deadest Characters Edition

• General Gracchus Ceno
    • Admiral Tacitus Meridius
    • High King Baldur Red-Snow
    • Boldir Iron-Brow
    • King Theodore Adrard
    • Sir Thomas Maric
    • Nahfahlaan
    • Ubbe the Savage

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Well its an adaption of the books, not your shitty 80 movies XD

He starts out as a 15 year old kid who watches his entire family die, and his life taken away from him and then devolops into the legend he becomes over a storyline that spans decades. 

So was the shitty 80's movie that got so many into the series. You nerds keep shitting on movies but they're a more effective medium when it comes to getting people in the series. Usually its the movie that gets me to read the book. I don't care about what the book story is, we're talking about a MOVIE.

Visuals matter. Certain things in a book don't work in a movie because your visual presentation isn't imagined.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

Hopefully as he ages up they just get a new actor like Rome did with Augustus. 

This might be the only movie, there's no guarantee we'll get another miniseries or a movie going off of the miniseries.

7 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

So was the shitty 80's movie that got so many into the series. You nerds keep shitting on movies but they're a more effective medium when it comes to getting people in the series. Usually its the movie that gets me to read the book. I don't care about what the book story is, we're talking about a MOVIE.

Visuals matter. Certain things in a book don't work in a movie because your visual presentation isn't imagined.

What a dumb thing to say, considering the fact the movies wouldn't exist at all without the books. Certain liberties can be taken for sure, but it needs to be faithful cause it's always going to be judged on it's source material, the stuff it fucking adapting. 

So tell me why the hero starting off as a fucking kid "dosen't work in a movie medium" when it's been done countless times before successfully?

And Dune was already considered one of the best sci stories ever written before the shitty 80's movie came along, with a massive fanbase. 

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

This might be the only movie, there's no guarantee we'll get another miniseries or a movie going off of the miniseries.

I thought it was going to be a show. Didn’t realize it was a standalone movie. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

What a dumb thing to say, considering the fact the movies wouldn't exist at all without the books. Certain liberties can be taken for sure, but it needs to be faithful cause it's always going to be judged on it's source material, the stuff it fucking adapting. 

So tell me why the hero starting off as a fucking kid "dosen't work in a movie medium" when it's been done countless times before successfully. 

And Dune was already considered one of the best sci stories ever written before the shitty 80's movie came along, with a massive fanbase. 

Alright, here's where I get pissed, because I'm tired of shit going over your head then you having the nerve to insult MY intelligence.

The movies not existing without the books is IRRELEVANT. There are certain things that don't translate well to screen because humans are visual creatures. We select leaders based on appearance, height especially. People have whole debates and arguments if an element of history is presented in a game that doesn't match their preconceived notions of a time or culture depicted. 

It doesn't need to be 100% faithful, most movies are NOT, and the fact that they're still wildly popular, including this movie proves you wrong.

I don't care that it starts with A kid, I do care that they picked THIS kid.

The fanbase grew with the movie and tv series, that's a fact.

6 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

So tell me why the hero starting off as a fucking kid "dosen't work in a movie medium" when it's been done countless times before successfully?

That’s not the point. It’s that the kid they chose looks especially wimpy even for a kid, to the point of feeling unbelievable that he can portray the leader he’s supposed to become.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Alright, here's where I get pissed, because I'm tired of shit going over your head then you having the nerve to insult MY intelligence.

The movies not existing without the books is IRRELEVANT. There are certain things that don't translate well to screen because humans are visual creatures. We select leaders based on appearance, height especially. People have whole debates and arguments if an element of history is presented in a game that doesn't match their preconceived notions of a time or culture depicted. 

It doesn't need to be 100% faithful, most movies are NOT, and the fact that they're still wildly popular, including this movie proves you wrong.

I don't care that it starts with A kid, I do care that they picked THIS kid.

The fanbase grew with the movie and tv series, that's a fact.

I think Frank Herbert would care more about his characters being accurately represented in an adaption of his novel then the opinion of someone who only watched the movie adaption. Cause this shit is just petty. 

Last word on the matter. 

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

That’s not the point. It’s that the kid they chose looking especially wimpy even for a kid, to the point of feeling unbelievable that he can portray the leader he’s supposed to become.

Except for the fact that's how he's described by the book as being. 

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

I think Frank Herbert would care more about his characters being accurately represented in an adaption of his novel then the opinion of someone who only watched the movie adaption. Cause this shit is just petty. 

Last word on the matter. 

I personally don't give a damn what he cares about. Maybe that's harsh but that's how I feel. The whole MK thing opened my eyes a bit in this regard. 

Art doesn't solely belong to the creator, once it's released on the world. He's an author, not a movie director.

I care about the story's accuracy of course, but not necessarily when it comes to visuals.

Sometimes this idea backfires. Game of Thrones had some great transitions to visuals... and some terrible ones... but overall I think the fans liked it until the writing was no longer consistent with what GRR Martin wrote.

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Jon Snow is also described as a smaller guy in the books who had a privileged upbringing. And when GRRM had the books adapted to comics (where he is depicted faithfully compared to the show), he still looked like a character who could believably one day grow up to be a leader of men, despite his size and inexperience.

This is Jon at 14-15 years old.

game-of-thrones-graphic-novel-04_510.jpg

thrones06_1.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

but overall I think the fans liked it until the writing was no longer consistent with what GRR Martin wrote.

I was downright thankful for it at times. Especially Dany getting aged up. Some of the stuff GRRM wrote felt a little creepy, tbh, considering their ages. And that’s coming from someone who enjoyed the books enough to read them several times before the series has even been finished.

I myself having wrote a young warrior for this RP can tell you, I don't want him being depicted by some wimp. Even if that's how he was described at first. Look at Avatar and Prince Zuko for instance. And growing up we all know what jock kids look like. Guarantee there's child actors that can play the role. 

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Look I don't think it's me being "an elitist prick" to give the thing a chance when it's actually being very true to the original text in terms of casting. 

Never said you were but you do tend to have a trusting streak. Which is fine, that's you. And I've been wrong before about stuff like this, and I hope I am here.

And then again, I've also been right. A lot. Guess we'll see.

7 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I was downright thankful for it at times. Especially Dany getting aged up. Some of the stuff GRRM wrote felt a little creepy, tbh, considering their ages. And that’s coming from someone who enjoyed the books enough to read them several times before the series has even been finished.

Would you say it was....

PrObLeMaTiC???

• Haha 1

After having read everything I think Balrog missed the point for a long time. The old Paul's only problem was his age, he started out as what you'd expect for a Duke's son. He wasn't the strongest but had the will to be, in fact the old movie masterfully portrayed the strength of his willpower and intelligence which shaped him into this godlike savior of the Fremen.

Old Paul didn't need to look like the sickliest, wimpiest emo on the drama club. When I see new Paul dressed up in House Atreides military uniform, it'll be a complete joke. 

Compare it to what I personally call Billy the Kid syndrome. In the 1973 movie Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, which is still my all time favorite western movie :D, the actor who played Billy the Kid was way too old for the part. Kris Kristofferson, Nick calls him Forehead, however played the part extremely well. He was charismatic, dangerous and smooth as fuck.

kris-kristofferson-james-coburn-pat-garr

Billy the 'Kid' is on the left. Plus it also has the single best Pat Garrett you could ask for, absolutely nobody can ever top James Coburn.

Now compared to a movie Nick showed me called Young Guns, it had a faithfully aged Billy the Kid but that movie was beyond forgettable for me. That actor didn't hold a candle to Forehead.

• Like 1

All I wanted was a badass pvp title that you had to work to get, lol and I did. Helped our team win the deathmatch game before the enemy got to 200 kills. That shit is hard, the whole team has to have a good k/d for that to happen and keep low deaths. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Bethesda got the two lowest rated games of their career in a few month span away from each other XD

kzv5831.png

Good, fuck em. Clearly the company as a whole only cares about money now. They lost their soul.