Soulsborne (And Sekiro and Shiet) Thread #4

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I've been fiddling around with mods for 1 and 3, but haven't done a real playthrough for months. Sekiro is out soon, so I want to be as fresh as possible with it

I hear they're already making day one mods :whistling: 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

DS1- Ditto on Bed of Chaos

DS3- Midir because it’s like ten minutes of doing the same thing over and over again. I hate enemies whose chief difficulty comes from taking forever to kill.

BB- Chalice Dungeon Rom for the same reason, but it’s even less fun because at least the dragon keeps you on your toes.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

DS3- Crystal Sage because fuck him and why does he get to appear twice?! :realmad:

BB- That cock sucker Laurence the First Vicar because regardless of how difficult a time you had with him, his last stage was complete ass. I’ll fight over this.

Complete cheese the rest of the fight, and then they introduce that gimmicky ass stupid last stage. Fuck that fight.

Demon- The Maneaters.

DS1-Don't need to say who it is.

DS2-That's very hard....i'll say this one. It shouldn't even be a fucking boss. At least Blue Smelter is challenging. 

Bloodborne: I fucking hate half of the reused bosses in the Chalice as Doctor pointed out, not only is it lazy not to change their skins or give a new moveset, they just feel bad fighting. 

Dark Souls 3: Deacons of the Deep. Another "It shouldn't be a boss" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Ah I forgot about Rom, lemme change my answer...

Chalice fights dont bother me since all of that is optional and not even part of the actual maps.

Rom I think makes up for it cause of the spectacle and having super interesting lore, and being one of the biggest WTF moments in gaming. 

25 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Rom I think makes up for it cause of the spectacle and having super interesting lore, and being one of the biggest WTF moments in gaming. 

No, lol, it doesn't XD 

The lore and stuff is cool but it's its own thing. The fight should be as awe inspiring as its reveal is.

What does save it at least a little bit is that you can tell they weren't looking for it to be this epic boss battle, it was supposed to be a horrific reveal and Rom is obviously the one that feels threatened. But if they wanted to portray that even better, they could've had the spiders in the way as an obstacle, but then made Rom die quickly after bypassing that and her magic defenses.

The Mensis brain was a full fledged Great One supposedly, and yet it didn't have a bossfight sequence and was probably better for it.

I will say this, Dark Souls had the more memorable music. 

Not that BB didn't utilize music exceptionally well, like the first time I found Yahar'ghul O.o Holy shit my anxiety went through the fucking roof.

But the use of leitmotifs in souls is so good, and they're done so well.

Basically if I were to put it better, the BB music was much more focused on setting the atmosphere, and it did so really well like with the Mensis monster thing, and Dark Souls tells stories and sets the atmosphere with its music at the same time.

• Like 1

Yeah Dark Souls has truly special music.

The Jap version of Dark Souls 3 came out a month before the Western release, so I got that (it didn't come with English subs but it had English dubs for some reason, so thank god for that) so I couldn't really read any of the flavor text , or the names of the bosses. 

But I knew who the final boss was because of the music...and the moment when the Soul took up Gywn's fighting stance. Teared up a little. An example of how Fromsoft is able to tell a poignant story without a single word, and convoy something without a second of exposition. 

Speaking of the one reborn, what is y'all's theory as to what they were trying to summon?

There's a lot of possibilities, Kos, or even Mergo... but none of the theories I've heard explain why the moon presence was needed or connected if that was the case.

My theory's maybe something else entirely. Either they were invoking its power to become a great one of their own, completely different from anything else, or perhaps the moon presence was attracted to their sacrifice as the lore says it was by these men doing the mensis ritual, and it was an attempt to resurrect the Moon Presence's child that died.

I like this idea more because the reborn one looked like it was literally being birthed from the Moon as a womb, and was just about as gross as you'd expect that to be. I think the Moon came as it was called like the Great Ones are known to do and accepted them en masse as a replacement child rather than a surrogate child and gave birth to that undead thing. 

Flora herself looks like she is undead, with her rib cage showing and all that. And it matches with the depictions of her on stone in Yahar'gul.

That raises another question too, why Flora and everything in relation to her including the scourge is undead. 

The beast connection I get, but that particular connection I do not. Immortality and undeath are all tied to her for some reason.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That raises another question too, why Flora and everything in relation to her including the scourge is undead. 

The beast connection I get, but that particular connection I do not. Immortality and undeath are all tied to her for some reason.

If were using the Mythos as an example, all the Great Old Ones have different domains. Ithaqua, for example is a god of Winter and Ice, Cthulhu is one of the dark tides, and waves. I think there's an implication Flora is a fertility God of some kind, but maybe her domain is Undeath, like how Kos is connected to the Water and the Cosmos (which is like a space ocean) 

• Like 1