Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #16

Share your opinion  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are you tired of these polls?

• Yes
    • No

You didn’t get anything from all those guys whose lives were turned upside down from ptsd, and the feeling of betrayal after they returned home when they realized their fighting wasn’t exactly what they thought it was for?

Our country and what it fights for and why, it’s just not what it used to be.

Many soldiers that go in with that hoorah kill the muslims outlook regret that shit hard.

Frank Castle himself while incredibly badass got into all this shit because he ended up loving killing more than being with his family, and he paid for it.

He’s a badass yes but that’s not an example to follow, dude, it’s a warning.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

I’m taking a class this semester taught by a veteran, and in the class are 4 other veterans. Two of them I took a class with last semester as well.

We recently read Karl Marlantes’ What It Is Like To Go To War about what effects war and killing has on soldiers. The guy who wrote it is a Vietnam vet. All of the vets thought it was a very real look at what combat is like. I would suggest reading it at some point. If not now, whenever you get out. Honestly everyone should read it, because it relates what war is like in a way civilians can understand it. 

Edited by BTC
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

@BTC

Sounds interesting. What class is that?

Readings in military history. Basically covers important texts in military history, as well as some books, like the one I mentioned, that help provide context for non-soldiers as to what war, battle, etc. is like.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:
  Hide contents

You didn’t get anything from all those guys whose lives were turned upside down from ptsd, and the feeling of betrayal after they returned home when they realized their fighting wasn’t exactly what they thought it was for?

Our country and what it fights for and why, it’s just not what it used to be.

Many soldiers that go in with that hoorah kill the muslims outlook regret that shit hard.

Frank Castle himself while incredibly badass got into all this shit because he ended up loving killing more than being with his family, and he paid for it.

He’s a badass yes but that’s not an example to follow, dude, it’s a warning.

4 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Hide contents

the blonde kid that turned into a domestic terrorist especially, he was exactly like that and was so lost he had to invent a reason to fight when they would no longer let him. On his own home soil.

Ok, that’s what I was thinking. You think this hasn’t been played up to me time and time and time again? It’s a cliche and one that I’m tired of people feeding me. Yes people have problems when they get back and yes some of them crack under the pressure, but this fallacy that veterans are somehow damaged goods is not only wrong, but offensive.

”Our country and what it fights for why, it’s just not what it used to be”

false, this war is like any other. No American war was fought for the reason we push. The Revolution was fought for #Freedom it was fought because some uber rich were tired of British taxes and wanted to make the rules themselves. 1812 was just a pissing match between the the country’s by the following generation who wanted there go and found an excuse. The Civil War wasn’t about freeing people, it was about the uber rich not wanting to give up their way of life because of some policy so they sent hundreds of thousands of young men to their deaths while they sat back on their sides of the divided. Ending slavery was piggybacked on their to keep one side from gaining European allies. The Spanish-American war? Imperial ideals found a reason to expand and so we did, it was vengeance for the USS Maine, because it was a negligent way explosion not sabotage, it was for wanna be emperors boners. The Philippine insurrections was a bid to hold onto the land we took. WWI was waiting for an excuse to get involved, and then using the Zimmerman to do so. WWII wasn’t about saving the Jews or freeing Europe, it was about kicking Japan in the nuts after Pearl Harbor and Germany just so happened to be their friend and the US needed allies so why not. Korea was about proving this new UN could work. Vietnam was about stubborn leaders not letting go of their pride. The Persian Gulf was about protecting US oil interests in Kuwait. Afghanistan was about destroying supply lines and funding to Al Queda by kicking the Taliban out and trying to establish a pro American Government in the region. Iraq was just some crusade by Bush who wanted to follow in his fathers footsteps by giving Sadam the boot and installing a pro-American government in the region. American fights have never been about morals.

nah, the reason why the country fights and the reason why people fight is always different. If you want to know what I really took away from the show was no matter what you do over there, no matter what happens, you can’t lose touch with what matters, with who matters. Don’t lost your support.

Fuck:dntknw:

I don’t time to give rebuttal to all that but I can say with certainty that slavery was not “piggybacked” on there, that’s just what southerners love to claim to make that issue less about slavery when it most certainly absolutely was.

That was how those rich noble elites kept their way of life, there is no denying that.

As for the rest you’re free to believe what you like. But it’s certainly no cliche. Maybe not all veterans come back that way but enough do and enough families have to bury dead soldiers, like mine, that I think it’s worth a second consideration before you jump into Afghanistan my dude.

Im not saying it to be judgmental, I’m saying it because I’m sure none of us want yet another rp member here suddenly disappearing all over again.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

21 minutes ago, Centurion said:

Ok, that’s what I was thinking. You think this hasn’t been played up to me time and time and time again? It’s a cliche and one that I’m tired of people feeding me. Yes people have problems when they get back and yes some of them crack under the pressure, but this fallacy that veterans are somehow damaged goods is not only wrong, but offensive.

Hide contents

”Our country and what it fights for why, it’s just not what it used to be”

false, this war is like any other. No American war was fought for the reason we push. The Revolution was fought for #Freedom it was fought because some uber rich were tired of British taxes and wanted to make the rules themselves. 1812 was just a pissing match between the the country’s by the following generation who wanted there go and found an excuse. The Civil War wasn’t about freeing people, it was about the uber rich not wanting to give up their way of life because of some policy so they sent hundreds of thousands of young men to their deaths while they sat back on their sides of the divided. Ending slavery was piggybacked on their to keep one side from gaining European allies. The Spanish-American war? Imperial ideals found a reason to expand and so we did, it was vengeance for the USS Maine, because it was a negligent way explosion not sabotage, it was for wanna be emperors boners. The Philippine insurrections was a bid to hold onto the land we took. WWI was waiting for an excuse to get involved, and then using the Zimmerman to do so. WWII wasn’t about saving the Jews or freeing Europe, it was about kicking Japan in the nuts after Pearl Harbor and Germany just so happened to be their friend and the US needed allies so why not. Korea was about proving this new UN could work. Vietnam was about stubborn leaders not letting go of their pride. The Persian Gulf was about protecting US oil interests in Kuwait. Afghanistan was about destroying supply lines and funding to Al Queda by kicking the Taliban out and trying to establish a pro American Government in the region. Iraq was just some crusade by Bush who wanted to follow in his fathers footsteps by giving Sadam the boot and installing a pro-American government in the region. American fights have never been about morals.

nah, the reason why the country fights and the reason why people fight is always different. If you want to know what I really took away from the show was no matter what you do over there, no matter what happens, you can’t lose touch with what matters, with who matters. Don’t lost your support.

They talked alot about freedom in the Revolution, but it was only freedom for white upper class dudes. Though to be honest, I used to thing they we're filthy traitors, but after taking an American history course, honestly some of the shit the Brits we're trying to pull on the colonists was pure fucking exploitation, so even if was being lead by a bunch of rich, white slave owners, I can see why the thirteen colonies rebelled in the first place XD But anyways, I don't think there's every been a truly Just War, Wars are always thought for material reasons (whether it's power, money, resources whatever), in the governments case, even Canadian conflicts, as much as we want to pride ourseves in being peace makers, you're damn right the Canadian government went to Afghanistan for looking after there interests.  

But that's the thing, the people who fight the war also matters. I'm sure alot of U.S soldiers genuinely did want to free Europe when they went over, protect Democracy. Just because the Government's interest in something isn't pure, that dosen't mean the people doing the actual fighting aren't virtuous

I don't think all vets are damaged goods, I just hate how the governments of the worlds tends to throw them away like damaged goods after they've exploited them enough. You should fight for what you believe in certainly, we just want you to be careful :AdVictoriam:

3 hours ago, BigBossBalrog said:

They talked alot about freedom in the Revolution, but it was only freedom for white upper class dudes. Though to be honest, I used to thing they we're filthy traitors, but after taking an American history course, honestly some of the shit the Brits we're trying to pull on the colonists was pure fucking exploitation, so even if was being lead by a bunch of rich, white slave owners, I can see why the thirteen colonies rebelled in the first place XD

I object to this characterization. Far more slaves were sent to the Caribbean and South American colonies of European countries than came to North America, and in the US slave owning was a feature only of the south. The north profited from it in some respects, but the north also fought against it. And freedom was NOT just for "white upper class dudes." My ancestors didn't fight for them, and they benefitted from the victory just the same.

One of my ancestors fought in the French and Indian War with Daniel Morgan. Morgan came to hate the British Army because he, an underling, was punished with 500 lashes when a British officer ordered him to be silent and then struck him with the flat of his sword when he refused, so he decked him. That's why we fought, because in Britain a nobleman would be treated with kid gloves while a normal man could only ever be treated as his doormat. Daniel Morgan went on to lead a key victory that turned the tide of the Revolution.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Celan said:

I object to this characterization. Far more slaves were sent to the Caribbean and South American colonies of European countries than came to North America, and in the US slave owning was a feature only of the south. The north profited from it in some respects, but the north also fought against it. And freedom was NOT just for "white upper class dudes." My ancestors didn't fight for them, and they benefitted from the victory just the same.

One of my ancestors fought in the French and Indian War with Daniel Morgan. Morgan came to hate the British Army because he, an underling, was punished with 500 lashes when a British officer ordered him to be silent and then struck him with the flat of his sword when he refused, so he decked him. That's why we fought, because in Britain a nobleman would be treated with kid gloves while a normal man could only ever be treated as his doormat. Daniel Morgan went on to lead a key victory that turned the tide of the Revolution.

And I know people descended from loyalist families who members we're tarred and feathered.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Didn't know you believed in torturing innocent people for there political choice Celan.

But I disgress, and i'll stop before saying anything else.

Let me put it this way, it's kinder than a noose.

Also I did have loyalists in my family too.