Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #14

Declare your House.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Stark or Lannister?

• Lannister
    • Stark

3 hours ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

Holy shit you level up slowly XD

Im trying to get level 5 like its suggested before heading to Belen but Jesus I keep completing quests for no experience.

There are tons of Places of Power in the starting area. Each give you a level up. Clear all the "question marks" on the world map, these will lead you to them as well as to monster nests that have potion ingredients (don't forget to loot the nest after you blow it up) and bandit camps that usually have alchemy diagrams and crafting materials.

1 hour ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I haven't even delved into alchemy outside of the one mandatory time yet. I remembrr hearing such good things from you and Colonel about detoctions bur haven't came across that yet either.

Start collecting herbs and monster ingredients, you'll get the formulae eventually. I use Swallow, Tawny Owl, Thunderbolt in almost every fight. Golden Oriole will be helpful later with monsters that shoot poison, especially the upgraded formulae. Killer Whale is nice for diving quests.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Celan said:

Oh, and yeah, you only get XP for quests your level and higher. Sometimes still worth it for the reward but it pays to take quests slightly higher than your level first while the XP is still good.

You get xp for quests slightly below your level too. But it is good to knock them out before you get too overleveled though, or the rewards are shit.

That is one thing about Witcher 3, the leveling system is not very well done at all. Probably my biggest complaint after that one quest I've talked about.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

The dwarven gangbang?

Scratch that. Third biggest complaint. XD 

The one that ends with Geralt having to choose between letting an ally kill his friends or not. Don’t wanna spoil it for Czar. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

56 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Scratch that. Third biggest complaint. XD 

The one that ends with Geralt having to choose between letting an ally kill his friends or not. Don’t wanna spoil it for Czar. 

Ahh right, that. Yea. XD 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Thats what I love about Witcher 3. It does the best job imo of making you feel like a witcher, even without combat stances and such in the mix. 

It's the preparation.

I don't know, I would pay money to see Geralt fight an Elder Vampire with a fucking ladle XD 

The series are both difficult in there own ways, but I wish CD red would force you to play on the hardest difficulty, that shit is the true Witcher right there, dying in a few hits cause you're fighting monsters.

56 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I don't know, I would pay money to see Geralt fight an Elder Vampire with a fucking ladle XD 

The series are both difficult in there own ways, but I wish CD red would force you to play on the hardest difficulty, that shit is the true Witcher right there, dying in a few heats cause you're fighting monsters.

I was comparing Witcher 3 to the other two titles, not Dank Souls XD 

There's still plenty of preparation in Dark Souls. I think that's the reason I had such an easy time with bosses yall had a problem with, aside from just play style. I was grinding levels until it slowed to a crawl before every new area nearly, up until after I got good enough that it no longer felt necessary.

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I was comparing Witcher 3 to the other two titles, not Dank Souls XD 

There's still plenty of preparation in Dark Souls. I think that's the reason I had such an easy time with bosses yall had a problem with, aside from just play style. I was grinding levels until it slowed to a crawl before every new area nearly, up until after I got good enough that it no longer felt necessary.

Eh, I think Dank Souls is way more about observing attack patterns, figuring out when to dodge, and when to attack. While Witcher is getting the equipment you need for the certain monster you're facing.  

Bloodborne actually leans a little more towards Witcher, there's plenty of prep options for taking on various beasts, there's a reason me and Doc keep telling you to play it XD

I'm just saying there's preparation involved. Skill in either game can overcome the need for preparation, moreso in Dark Souls. 

But there's been multiple segments of the game and some bosses where I felt I was very ill prepared for the task at hand. Either by armor equipped or the wrong weapon for the situation, needing more estus flasks, etc.

Though tbh once you get the perk that increases your damage resistance against the monster your sword is oiled for... you really don't need quen except against the deadliest of enemies like the blood and wine boss. 

The fucking bat attack.

I ran a weird mix of light armor, few potions or decoctions, and mostly used the Quen sign. I was mostly focused on dodging, with the quen sign for extra protection. Had it where when it was broken it staggered enemies, and if I held it and enemies hit it I’d get healed. I usually only used alchemy for especially tough fights, but mostly avoided it. 

That's why I like the alchemy build, it makes those things so much more useful. I honestly had no trouble finding all the upgrades of everything. Only thing I haven't found that I want is griffin decoction mutagen.

11 minutes ago, Celan said:

That's why I like the alchemy build, it makes those things so much more useful. I honestly had no trouble finding all the upgrades of everything. Only thing I haven't found that I want is griffin decoction mutagen.

The tricky components for me were the succubus and doppelgänger trophies. Since there are only like one or two of each in the game and they’re missable. 

Only decoctions I bother using tho are the water hag, arch griffin and ekhinda decoctions.

Water hag improves your damage by 50 percent when you have full health.

Ekhinda restores health every time you do an action that spends stamina.

Arch Griffin drains stamina when you use a heavy attack to reduce your enemy's health by 5 percent. That's per strike, you understand.

That means you're increasing your damage by a stupid amount and restoring your health by draining your stamina to keep that fantastic damage bonus. That's why by the time I can use all three decoctions, for all but the fastest enemies, I'm pretty much only using strong attacks.

And not to mention, Ekhinda makes it so you never need swallow again. Just spam a sign outside of combat to restore your health, no need for food either. And while its been nerfed, the arch griffin strong attack combo still does a good job keeping your health up, though spamming signs in combat is possible too with tawny owl leveled up or light armor.