Soulsborne Thread #7 (And Sekiro and Elden Ring and other shiet)

I don't know about that. Old Hunters felt like a direct continuation from the base game, it's amazing content, but it's seemlessly intergrated. It just feels like Bloodborne. Nothing really new, just far more challenging.

The Dark Souls 3 DLC is on the other hand, feels like it's completely separate from the base game. It's far more experimental, the lore is crazier, the bosses are much different to those who are fought in the base game. It's kinda less polished, but I think Dark Souls 3 would have been a significantly better game (I still think it's great) if they'd used this mindset for the base game. 

I liked DS3’s DLCs quite a bit as well. Not as much as Old Hunters, but they had a grand, almost odyssey-like feel to them, similar to DS2 but actually done well. 

I agree that they felt much more separate from the base game than Old Hunters did. With about three times the length and some story tweaks, the DLCs honestly could’ve been their own separate game. It wasn’t even really necessary for the protagonist to be the same Ashen One who killed the Soul of Cinder.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

36 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I don't know about that. Old Hunters felt like a direct continuation from the base game, it's amazing content, but it's seemlessly intergrated. It just feels like Bloodborne. Nothing really new, just far more challenging.

The Dark Souls 3 DLC is on the other hand, feels like it's completely separate from the base game. It's far more experimental, the lore is crazier, the bosses are much different to those who are fought in the base game. It's kinda less polished, but I think Dark Souls 3 would have been a significantly better game (I still think it's great) if they'd used this mindset for the base game. 

I didn’t feel like this much tbh.

Not that the dlc sticks out or anything but it’s far more perfected than base Bloodborne. Boss and enemy-wise and even narrative-wise.

More Bloodborne yes but it was good enough to almost be called a sequel.

Dark Souls is random in general tbh but even tho the environments change wildly I’d argue it was being consistent to DS3 actually because of this, even from going snow to ash, while also keeping the story tighter than the base game, and even making the base game feel less random.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

6 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I didn’t feel like this much tbh.

Not that the dlc sticks out or anything but it’s far more perfected than base Bloodborne. Boss and enemy-wise and even narrative-wise.

More Bloodborne yes but it was good enough to almost be called a sequel.

Dark Souls is random in general tbh but even tho the environments change wildly I’d argue it was being consistent to DS3 actually because of this, even from going snow to ash, while also keeping the story tighter than the base game, and even making the base game feel less random.

In that I mean it's the same formula. Gameplay and mechanic wise, there's nothing not from BB. New Trick Weapons. New Lore. New Bosses. New Zones. New Enemies. New Runes. 

I'm not saying it in a bad way either. If it broke don;t fix it XD

Dark Souls 3 DLC on the other hand, brought alot of completely new shit. Environmental challenges to conquer like the Angels and the Guardian Giants. Interactibale environments like the snow storms and snow drifts from Ashes. New Covenants that brought in a super unique boss-play PVE blend wth PVP. PVP combat arenas.  And all that other stuff like new bosses, new lore, new weapons, new spells. 

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

In that I mean it's the same formula. Gameplay and mechanic wise, there's nothing not from BB. New Trick Weapons. New Lore. New Bosses. New Zones. New Enemies. New Runes. 

I'm not saying it in a bad way either. If it broke don;t fix it XD

Dark Souls 3 DLC on the other hand, brought alot of completely new shit. Environmental challenges to conquer like the Angels and the Guardian Giants. Interactibale environments like the snow storms and snow drifts from Ashes. New Covenants that brought in a super unique boss-play PVE blend wth PVP. PVP combat arenas.  And all that other stuff like new bosses, new lore, new weapons, new spells. 

Fair enough. 

I guess it ain’t broke don’t fix it worked really well with BB because there was still so much mystery left. Dark Souls could’ve honestly ended where 3 did without the dlc, tho I’m glad they didn’t.

To me the BB DLC feels more like it was planned from the beginning whereas DS3 was included after the fact. They intentionally left a dark spot in the lore surrounding Kos, the Old Hunters, and Byrgenwerth’s early days and the DLC fits in so well because it fills that spot.

DS3 left some mysteries too, but the stuff the DLCs addressed was mostly new and unrelated. Still a good continuation. 

Reminds me of Fallout actually. New Vegas left things blank where Ulysses and Graham were concerned, so the eventual dlc tied in perfectly. Fallout 3 didn’t do that, so the DLCs were entirely separate adventures (besides Broken Steel). 

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

I wasn’t saying experimental makes it better XD I’m just saying for dark souls, it needed to be something different. Samey works for BB because it still had a lot to tell, whereas Dark Souls imo really didn’t.

I thought that's what you thought I thought, miscommunication XD

Anyway regardless, both examples in this case, Old Hunters, and RC and AoA are good, even if they have different design focuses. 

4 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Mutagens were pretty huge, actually. Completely changed many playstyles. 

It felt the same to me, just spamming dodge role, and casting random signs XD

Nothing random about the signs I cast, lol, but na I cant say the game felt super new, even with the mutations.

Might’ve just been my playstyle. Mutagens got me to do a very alchemy heavy run on my second playthrough that was totally different from my first one. 

Course, it might’ve also had to do with me changing the difficulty to Death March. XD 

9 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I played on normal and just spammed the stun and flame one XD Once I get in the mood for it, i'll go Death March as penance. 

Death March will turn the shield one into your best friend. XD 

23 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Might’ve just been my playstyle. Mutagens got me to do a very alchemy heavy run on my second playthrough that was totally different from my first one. 

Course, it might’ve also had to do with me changing the difficulty to Death March. XD 

Lol see that was already my play style so all it did was make it more op for me XD 

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And death march is hardly a penance, it basically just feels like the way the game is supposed to be. If they made death march default and took away other difficulties I don’t think it’d be that bad for people

More devs should take the Souls approach, one difficulty, get gud XD