Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #5

The Holy Poll  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win?

• The White Rabbit
    • Tim the Enchanter
    • King Arthur
    • A taunting frenchman

I don’t know, horror ain’t really about the big scare so much as the feeling of dread, especially with the “great reveal” of a monster, and between Aldrich the Devourer of Gods and everything associated with him I’d say they do horror rather well. Though yes it’s not what I’d call a horror game.

Its amazing they managed to make a dead dreary world intriguing. 

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

3 hours ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I don’t know, horror ain’t really about the big scare so much as the feeling of dread, especially with the “great reveal” of a monster, and between Aldrich the Devourer of Gods and everything associated with him I’d say they do horror rather well. Though yes it’s not what I’d call a horror game.

Its amazing they managed to make a dead dreary world intriguing. 

Well there's beauty in decay and death (As Miyizaki said in an interview)

eric-michelsen-dark-souls-concept-art-bo

That's what separates it from Elder Scrolls and Witcher. Those worlds feel really alive. While in Dark Souls it's the exact opposite. It's dead. The fire fades, and the Lords go without thrones...it isn't some epic journey to save the world like the above two games, your truding through the ashes of a dying world. There aint an apocalypse, it already happened.

But at the same time, there's just enough hope to keep you going. Because the hope has been been put there by yourself and your will. Look at the cover art for 2.

eeb59560600a9aecffbb62cb9ea8468f.jpg

Dark-Souls-2-Despair-Trailer_1.jpg

That's why I think the Link the Fire ending is so heroic. You know it isn't going to do anything in the long run. And all the other Lords know it isn't going to do anything. But there doing it anyway because it's the right thing to do. Sacrificing themselves like all the Lords of Cinders before them...Souls is defined by characters selflessly sacrificing themselves for little gain. But the little hope they give is more then enough.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

There you go comparing needlessly again XD Theres a lot more that’s different between those series besides the world being dead.

I always compare everything with each other XD I used to get a real kick reading all those articles trying to hype up Skyrim and Dark Souls rivalry.

And I wouldn’t describe Witcher as a story about saving the world. It’s more about finding something to believe in for a cynical man, and that thing turns out to be his friends, and Ciri.

As for the rest, I agree it can be seen as heroic but to me it’s the most foolish form of heroism out there. One I can’t stand by. I’d rather try for a world that could possibly be better than what the gods brought than cling to a long gone past by the will of those who ruled over us and cursed us out of fear.

And I wouldn’t say there’s beauty in decay so much as that the macabre is fascinating.

And I wouldn’t describe Witcher as a story about saving the world. It’s more about finding something to believe in for a cynical man, and that thing turns out to be his friends, and Ciri.

As for the rest, I agree it can be seen as heroic but to me it’s the most foolish form of heroism out there. One I can’t stand by. I’d rather try for a world that could possibly be better than what the gods brought than cling to a long gone past by the will of those who ruled over us and cursed us out of fear.

And I wouldn’t say there’s beauty in decay so much as that the macabre is fascinating.

From what you've seen, do you really think it was unwise for the Gods to be afraid of the Dark?

Charge_manus.jpg

darkstalker-kaathe-large.jpg

sulyvahn-s-beast.jpg

You’re confusing Dark with Abyss, corrupted dark. They’re as much to blame for that as humanity. Moreso.

Pure Dark may not be evil, but it's incredibly dangerous. Manus is the Lord of the Abyss, and is the father of Hexes (dark magic). So he created the Abyss, which is born from Pure Dark.

Though I will concede, Flame can be dangerous as well. Instead of elemental, Flame and Dark seem to be universal concepts, tied to the First Flame (And the phenomenon known as the First Sin, which was the linking of the fire by Gywn) which we barely understand. 

However, the number of good aligned flame characters far outweight the amount of good aligned dark ones. 

“Good” is a matter of perspective. Even Kaathe can be seen as simply trying to move the world in its natural state of existence. Age of man over age of gods. 

I wouldn’t call Gwyn good for instance though you might disagree. I don’t see many good people in this series just people acting in desperation. 

“Good” is a matter of perspective. Even Kaathe can be seen as simply trying to move the world in its natural state of existence. Age of man over age of gods. 

I wouldn’t call Gwyn good for instance though you might disagree. I don’t see many good people in this series just people acting in desperation. 

Kaathe has the blood of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of humans on his...tail. So I really wouldn't call him a champion of man XD

And we'll agree to disagree on Gywn. But I view him as more Lawful Neutral then anything else. But many of his champions are good people (Artorias, Siegward, Sif, Midir, Shira etc)

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I believe your drawing from stuff from the Ringed City XD Which you haven't played. You won't understand till you fight the final boss, so I would advise you do so. Because you won't understand what I mean, by pure darkness being highly corrupting until you play it.

I think I get the concept just fine, they hammer that into you at every turn.

But one of your favorite Lords of Cinder found out so too is flame. It’s not better or less evil, it’s simply different than dark. Dark is unknown, and perceived as evil for that reason. Corrupted to be exactly what they feared and so they took it as bad. It’d be like if in the dark world people saw flame for the first time, feared it and only ever used it for power. It shows mostly in its chaotic form so it’s associated with burning, demons and hellish landscapes rather than light, life and enlightenment.

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Kaathe has the blood of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of humans on his...tail. So I really wouldn't call him a champion of man XD

And we'll agree to disagree on Gywn. But I view him as more Lawful Neutral then anything else. But many of his champions are good people (Artorias, Siegward, Sif, Midir, Shira etc)

Gwyn cursed the entirety of humanity to a state of being undead... that’s as bad as Kaathe if you ask me.

Gwyn cursed the entirety of humanity to a state of being undead... that’s as bad as Kaathe if you ask me.

We still don't know the details about the curse. It's implied the curse started because of the Linking of the Flame, but that could, and was most likely, completely accidentally. Because Gywn barely understood what linking the flame would do. Kaathe knew what he was doing when he CORRUPTED the Four Kings, created the Dark Wraiths (which have since killed thousands of innocents), and tricked the people of Ooacile into unleashing Manus, which killed and corrupted millions of people.

Gywn also respected humanity. He gave their Leaders parts of his soul for gods sake. He made sure Anor Londo was accesiable to humans (there's two sets of stairs in the city, one for humans, one for giants), and gave their other leaders, full Lordship.

He has attrocties under his belt, but he isn't comparable to Kaathe in my opinion. He's far more tragic too. Just listen to his theme song.

“Just listen to his theme song,” XD sad music ain’t enough for me to look past his cursing of humans. It wasn’t just the linking of the flame, he put the flame mark thing on the dark soul which caused the curse for all of humanity out of fear for his position and a world he built.

It may not be as bad as deliberately killing and mutating people but I don’t consider him an ally of mine. Especially when his tranny son has to manipulate you with giant titties to do their bidding, his sister’s no less. Well played Gwyndolin, well played.