Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #4

Grim Ones vs Emperor's Blades (Third Era)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

You aint excited for Skyrim 2 Doc?

I mean, I wouldn’t say no to one. XD 

Back on the topic of the Blades, I was just thinking and I believe that despite having way more of a presence in the games, they’re actually a lot less impressive than the Penitus Oculatus in terms of feats.

What have the Blades really done besides fail to protect a shitload of emperors and do a terrible job at slaying dragons? They got tricked by Jagar Tharn, upstaged by the Nerevarine, outmaneuvered by the Mythic Dawn, and wrecked by the Thalmor. 

Now, the Penitus Oculatus failed to protect Titus Mede II, but that’s only one Emperor they’ve let down that we’re aware of. And it was the doing of an unbeatable Hero at that. Meanwhile, they damn near wiped the Dark Brotherhood off the face of Tamriel, assassinated a powerful necromancer who believed himself to be the second coming of Mannimarco, and ended a plot to steal much of Vile’s power along with the souls of everyone in the Imperial City.

They’re way better at their job.

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

So a quest involving a battle of wits with a skeleton scholar I dug up in a cemetery was supposedly a really hard quest to beat because it takes “preparation”. Either be an undead, have an undead in your party, or read three books to have the answers to this guy’s questions... or die.

Luckily my character tags were exactly the ones needed for one and two. Barbarian and Mystic, lol.

And for the last tag, people thought that you had to be a scholar, read the books or be undead but apparently me being a dick and earning the Villain tag was another way to win XD 

I got that quest and beat the guy on my first attempt. 

http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/An+Existential+Crisis

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Back on the topic of the Blades, I was just thinking and I believe that despite having way more of a presence in the games, they’re actually a lot less impressive than the Penitus Oculatus in terms of feats.

What have the Blades really done besides fail to protect a shitload of emperors and do a terrible job at slaying dragons? They got tricked by Jagar Tharn, upstaged by the Nerevarine, outmaneuvered by the Mythic Dawn, and wrecked by the Thalmor. 

Now, the Penitus Oculatus failed to protect Titus Mede II, but that’s only one Emperor they’ve let down that we’re aware of. And it was the doing of an unbeatable Hero at that. Meanwhile, they damn near wiped the Dark Brotherhood off the face of Tamriel, assassinated a powerful necromancer who believed himself to be the second coming of Mannimarco, and ended a plot to steal much of Vile’s power along with the souls of everyone in the Imperial City.

That was also after putting you on the ropes to the point that you had to hide in the coffin of a dead old hag. That was gross.

8 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

That was one of my favorite quests in Skyrim actually. Pretty epic battle.

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

That was also after putting you on the ropes to the point that you had to hide in the coffin of a dead old hag. That was gross.

I will always question the necesity of that action. :P Like, why couldn’t we just fus the glass and dive into the water without crawling into mamma’s coffin?

The obvious answer is that we could. The Night Mother just took advantage of our stress because she wanted to cuddle up with her favorite dragonborn Listener.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I will always question the necesity of that action. :P Like, why couldn’t we just fus the glass and dive into the water without crawling into mamma’s coffin?

The obvious answer is that we could. The Night Mother just took advantage of our stress because she wanted to cuddle up with her favorite dragonborn Listener.

Lol the real answer is they couldn’t build the quest around that because it assumes you already know you’re dragonborn and can shout.

If it were Obsidian they’d make that an option tho.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If only all the guilds in Skyrim we're as good as the DB...and even still it's still inferior to Oblivions.

I agree that Oblivion’s was better. Like, it ain’t even close. But I will say that I appreciate that the Skyrim questline was so massively important to the overall TES storyline. I wouldn’t want every guild questline in every game to have such world-changing ramifications, but one two every couple of games is just fine by me.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

If only all the guilds in Skyrim we're as good as the DB...and even still it's still inferior to Oblivions.

All they’d have to do is make a storyline that wasn’t rushed and bam. Instantly better.

Though the thieves guild quest line had all sorts of story issues that couldn’t be solved away like that. 

First and foremost, Mercer Frey was right.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

All they’d have to do is make a storyline that wasn’t rushed and bam. Instantly better.

Though the thieves guild quest line had all sorts of story issues that couldn’t be solved away like that. 

I only like him because hes' voiced by Garette...but yeah. The guy was being a fucking thief! You know, the leader of the Thieves Guild!

And let's not even get started on the Companions. Fighter's guild was so much fucking cooler (Like the quest we're you get high and slaughter a village cause you think their goblins)

• Like 1

And how you gonna show off a statue like Ysgramor’s and when you go into the crypt all you get is a shield that can’t even be improved?

Or was that the axe? I still used the shield since before Dragonborn my go to kit was ancient Nordic.

edit: And before that, good ol Steel Nordic armor

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Exactly. That questline had tons of plot holes, but the biggest problem was that we weren’t even the hero of it. We were just members of the daedra worshipping goon squad who stopped the only thief who had any balls.

Mercer was the Gray Fox of that story. Or he would’ve been if an unbeatable PC wasn’t hunting him. 

6 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I rarely ever play that storyline, what was he right about?

Exactly what Doc said. The whole plot was basically this. The Skyrim thieves guild liked sucking at Nocturnal’s teet and one dude said fuck Nocturnal and stole the skeleton key, then used it to, get this, steal shit. 

You’re tasked as a thieves guild hot shot to be Nocturnal’s eternal bitch boy and keep him from stealing. Because that’s apparently what thieves do in a thieves guild.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Exactly what Doc said. The whole plot was basically this. The Skyrim thieves guild liked sucking at Nocturnal’s teet and one dude said fuck Nocturnal and stole the skeleton key, then used it to, get this, steal shit. 

You’re tasked as a thieves guild hot shot to be Nocturnal’s eternal bitch boy and keep him from stealing. Because that’s apparently what thieves do in a thieves guild.

Wow 10/10 Bethesda 

2 minutes ago, TheCzarsHussar said:

I rarely ever play that storyline, what was he right about?

It’s not so much that he was right about anything. I mean they’re all a bunch of asshole thieves with few redeeming qualities at best, and outright daedric servants who sell their souls for greed at worst. So with that in mind, it’s hard to view Mercer as the bad guy when all he does is screw over other bad guys for his own gain when they all do that to good guys on a regular basis.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

It’s not so much that he was right about anything. I mean they’re all a bunch of asshole thieves with few redeeming qualities at best, and outright daedric servants who sell their souls for greed at worst. So with that in mind, it’s hard to view Mercer as the bad guy when all he does is screw over other bad guys for his own gain when they all do that to good guys on a regular basis.

Viking'd

I kinda liked that feeling though. In Oblivion we played a bunch of Robin Hood nancies. In Skyrim your fucking scoundrels. A bunch of asshole money loaners, and drug dealers who don't give a shit about the poor. They want to make them pooer. It was like you were running with the Mafia.

Sadly Beth fucked up on the potential...

It just annoys the hell out of me that the Gray Fox, literally one of the coolest characters Bethesda has ever created, was infamous for stealing the Gray Cowl from Nocturnal herself. He was so awesome for this that an entire guild tool to following him. Fast forward 200 years and that same guild is basically worshipping Nocturnal (they put up her shrine at the end) and condemn a man who does the exact same thing the Gray Fox did.

Mercer Frey was the guy going against all odds to defy the shitty system. The archetypical hero. We just played as one of Nocturnal’s several mask wearing enforcers who pursued him. Didn’t even stand out from the other two. If this were a movie or book, it would’ve followed Mercer.

• Like 1

Those nancies also pulled heists on the fucking WG tower and regularly made the imperial guard look like jackasses.

Skyrim? You get to suck Maven’s and Nocturnal’s clit.

Dont get me wrong, I love the taste of a good cougar, let alone two, but I’d prefer actually doing something, you know, noteworthy.

• Haha 1

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

Those nancies also pulled heists on the fucking WGC and regularly made the imperial guard look like jackasses.

Skyrim? You get to suck Maven’s and Nocturnal’s clit.

Dont get me wrong, I love the taste of a good cougar, let alone two, but I’d prefer actually doing something, you know, noteworthy.

That's why I said Skyrim squandered their potential. 

I just thought stealing from the rich and giving to the poor was dumb. The questline itself was awesome. 

That, alongside the Pirate Cove DLC was the fucking bomb. Felt like a master thief!

2 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I kinda liked that feeling though. In Oblivion we played a bunch of Robin Hood nancies. In Skyrim your fucking scoundrels. A bunch of asshole money loaners, and drug dealers who don't give a shit about the poor. They want to make them pooer. It was like you were running with the Mafia.

Sadly Beth fucked up on the potential...

The Skyrim guild being immoral assholes wasn’t the problem. Mercer was one of those too.

Imagine if the Dark Brotherhood questline had been about us as an assassin working for Astrid until some other guy started hearing the Night Mother speak to him. Then that guy started working on a contract to take out the Emperor while you continued to do more mundane jobs. Then one day Astrid asks you to kill him before he can finish. So you do, and that’s the end of it all. Like, you wouldn’t be the interesting one in that story.

• Haha 1