Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #4

Grim Ones vs Emperor's Blades (Third Era)  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

Turns on Comedy Central before bed.

”every country has deportation, so why is trump the bad guy?”

”well first of all, Trump says illegal immigrants get deported, but no one is illegal, no human being can be illegal....”

Turns off tv.

• Haha 2

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I just thought stealing from the rich and giving to the poor was dumb. The questline itself was awesome. 

I liked it. The game even implied that their entire code was based more around practicality than selflessness. The Gray Fox had an explicit end goal, and he needed friends more than he needed gold. So making the beggars and poor of Cyrodiil like him more than they liked the law was an extremely pragmatic move.

If you ever replay it, pay attention to how he regards the Guild rules as you get closer to the final heist. He starts to handwave them as they become less necessary. Eventually he doesn’t even care if you kill people anymore. You’re so close by then he basically just tells you to do what’s gotta be done.

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

3 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I kinda liked Hearthfire (Adoption was a really sweet and cool mechanic), but I so wish we got the super cool class themed housing DLC like Oblivion. They we're all surprisingly sick.

They were though I’ll be honest, I rarely spent time in any of them except the castle that gave us the drsgonsword of lainlyn. That was cool.

The others I just used for exploits. Wizard tower, infinite digit stones. Assassin home, immortal guy you could hit over and over for level ups. Sneak too.

5 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

I kinda liked Hearthfire (Adoption was a really sweet and cool mechanic), but I so wish we got the super cool class themed housing DLC like Oblivion. They we're all surprisingly sick.

Agreed. I liked Heathfire’s mechanical additions, but the houses weren’t near as cool as Oblivion’s. They even had little quests.

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

Agreed. I liked Heathfire’s mechanical additions, but the houses weren’t near as cool as Oblivion’s. They even had little quests.

I’m ok with that. I liked the quaint feeling and how it made me feel a part of Skyrim. Honestly if I had to absolutely choose between the two and we couldn’t have both, I’d pick hearthfire. 

5 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I’m ok with that. I liked the quaint feeling and how it made me feel a part of Skyrim. Honestly if I had to absolutely choose between the two and we couldn’t have both, I’d pick hearthfire. 

I get that. Though since the vanilla house’s already satisfy me on quaint, I’d rather the DLCs give something totally new. And the RP potential was through the roof. Hearthfire gave us customizable houses, but Stronghold let us be a Colovian Lord, Vile Lair let us revive the Crimson Scars, etc. They had a lot of personality. All three Hearthfire houses end up more or less the same with some variation in the wings or towers.

Total preference thing though. You already know from my constant complains about settlements in Fallout 4 that I hate building things in videogames. I’d rather just pay the coin and have the game do it for me. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

I get that. Though since the vanilla house’s already satisfy me on quaint, I’d rather the DLCs give something totally new. And the RP potentially was through the roof.

Total preference thing though. You already know from my constant complains about settlements in Fallout 4 that I hate building things in videogames. I’d rather just pay the coin and have the game do it for me. 

The settlement thing only bothered me because it was a substitute for actual game content and quests. Or at least it tried to be. If they made that a thing for one or two places at most, I’d be perfectly ok with it. 

In fact I’d be ok with it in a lesser capacity in the next tes game too, if, and it’s a big if, they kept it exclusively for player homes. 

Edit: while keeping some of them like regular homes where what you see is what you get.

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The settlement thing only bothered me because it was a substitute for actual game content and quests. Or at least it tried to be. If they made that a thing for one or two places at most, I’d be perfectly ok with it. 

In fact I’d be ok with it in a lesser capacity in the next tes game too, if, and it’s a big if, they kept it exclusively for player homes. 

I’d be okay with it as long as it didn’t substitute anything, as you said, and they didn’t lock important content behind it (like the Minutemen, Nuka World, and sorta DiMA’s memories). I just find it tedious myself. I play Fallout for an RPG. I’d buy Minecraft or Sims if I wanted building a home to be a key part of the game.

I also edited my last comment to better explain why I like the other ones so much. 

How many people here actually spent time in those dlc homes besides for dropping your shit in it and leaving? With the exception of the castle since at least that lets you set up trophies.

With hearthfire I actually take time to build the place and it gives you quaint little side quests and moments with the kids n shit. 

Its not much and eventually you just pop in to dump some shit in your place and give your kids money but I had more actual roleplaying with that than all the dlc homes in Oblivion.

How many people here actually spent time in those dlc homes besides for dropping your shit in it and leaving? With the exception of the castle since at least that lets you set up trophies.

I did. My main character hung out in the castle. My wizard, the tower. And my rogue, the Pirate Den. They were my hubs. The only one I didn’t use as a house was Deepscorn Hollow because my vampire assassin lived in that Skingrad mansion.

Probably spent the most time in the castle and the tower. Training and crafting spells.

With hearthfire I actually take time to build the place and it gives you quaint little side quests and moments with the kids n shit. 

I took the time to build it as well, but that was a huge drag for me and I always either dreaded or avoided it on subsequent playthroughs. 

I already said that I liked the mechanics that got added, such as the kids, pets, ovens, and whatnot. But those could be part of any DLC home. When it comes to the houses themselves, I much preferred the Oblivion ones.

I guess I’m the odd one out then, I didn’t see those places (aside from the castle) as anything but convenient exploit dens lol. After I got what I wanted I pretty much never returned to any of them. Not even the pirate Lord one. Being a pirate Lord without actually being able to go out to sea seemed lame as hell to me.

1 minute ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Yeah and those House had cool mechanics too. Like in the Thieves Den recruiting your crew, and sending them out on raiding missions. 

Yeah, and the taxidermist in the castle, or the atronach alter in the wizard’s tower. 

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The atronach thing felt more like a cool gimmick that entertained me for thirty seconds before I left it alone forever :P to each their own

It wasn’t anything special, but it was still neat. I’ll take cool gimmicks over hours of tedious iron farming and wood chopping any day. 

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

It wasn’t anything special, but it was still neat. I’ll take cool gimmicks over hours of tedious Iron farming and wood chopping any day. 

I like the process of building up a home that is mine. I just did it slowly while doing other shit, never felt tedious.

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

It gave me a reason to use all that junk too you brought from adventures. I found it relaxing *shrug* 

From this, it almost seems like you should’ve enjoyed the fuck out of the settlement system in F4

Edited by Centurion

Fuck:dntknw:

Just now, ColonelKillaBee said:

I like the process of building up a home that is mine. I just did it slowly while doing other shit, never felt tedious.

To each their own. I didn’t enjoy it apart from the final product, which I didn’t think was nearly as cool as the themed houses. I enjoyed the family and household stuff that came with it, though. 

I also didn’t like that all three possible houses were more or less identical with slightly different wings or towers. You couldn’t change the style or architecture or theme. It was all basically “Whiterun Nord”. I’d have loved to have been able to build a stone house like in Windhelm, or change up the fixed decorations. As it is, if I make a scholar, a bard, a thief, and a warrior, they’ll all end up living in the same house with little tweaks. In Oblivion, the houses they got felt like they were made for those types of characters. 

1 minute ago, Centurion said:

From this, it almost seems like you should’ve enjoyed the fuck out of the settlement system in F4

I actually did at first, until again, you realize that it’s a never ending process they used to make up the minutemen questline instead of actual fucking quests. I don’t like feeling forced to do shit like that.

Skyrim’s is completely optional, not to mention it just requires for the most part easy to get materials and crap you pick up all the time and never use.

Worst case use all that damn gold you have nothing else to spend on and bam, decorating is done.

The locations they were at made up for that to me, plus the wings really do add to the feel of the home. Like having a connecting porch outside all around the house, having one be especially homey for a family while another is specifically for you.