Roleplayer’s Off Topic Thread #3

I’ll note that I mentioned the fact that there were Canadians on the American side earlier ;) Sorry Balrog, it’s just not the great Canadian victory over us that you want it to be. Not everyone wuz Kangs, not everyone wuz Warriors, and not everyone wuz freedom fighters. 

Well, unless you mean they fought against freedom lol

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

And yeah, I mentioned I had a dirty Tory traitorous bastard in my own family, who had to tuck his tail and flee to Canada after the Revolutionary War. XD

His father however signed the original Articles of Confederation, so at least the whole family wasn't a Redcoat ass licker, just him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Celan said:

"In the battle and the following siege, French-speaking Canadians were active on both sides of the conflict.

The American forces received supplies and logistical support from local residents, and the city's defenders included locally raised militia. When the Americans retreated, they were accompanied by a number of their supporters; those who remained behind were subjected to a variety of punishments after the British re-established control over the province."

"Its goal, as stated in a proclamation by General Schuyler, was to 'drive away, if possible, the troops of Great Britain' that 'under the orders of a despotic ministry ... aim to subject their fellow-citizens and brethren to the yoke of a hard slavery.'"

"On May 22, even before the Americans had been completely driven from the province, Carleton ordered a survey to identify the Canadians who had helped the American expedition in and around Quebec City. François Baby, Gabriel-Elzéar Taschereau, and Jenkin Williams travelled the province and counted the Canadians who actively provided such help; they determined that 757 had done so.[49] Carleton was somewhat lenient with minor offenders, and even freed a number of more serious offenders on the promise of good behaviour; however, once the Americans had been driven from the province, measures against supporters of the American cause became harsher, with forced labour to repair American destruction of infrastructure during the army's retreat being a frequent punishment.[60] These measures had the effect of minimizing the public expression of support for the Americans for the rest of the war.[61]

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I think you need to take a look at how many people were involved in that fight altogether. And 757 is actually a pretty big contribution considering the scale.

Soldiers and militia is a different matter. Those we're the civilian collaborators. 

The main reason General Montcalm or whatever wanted to go there was to pave for a greater invasion of Canada. His death, and the mass route of his force ended it.

1 minute ago, Celan said:

757 that stayed behind and got caught.

Congratulations, the British Army won your big patriotic battle for you and you got a couple hundred years more exploitation. XD

"The city's garrison, a motley assortment of regular troops and militia led by Quebec's provincial governor, General Guy Carleton,"  It wasn't just British Regulars. 

Better the devil you know. And please, the Americans continued the trend of British exploitation on there own very, very well. Manifest destiny ring a bell?

Just now, BigBossBalrog said:

Soldiers and militia is a different matter. Those we're the civilian collaborators. 

The main reason General Montcalm or whatever wanted to go there was to pave for a greater invasion of Canada. His death, and the mass route of his force ended it.

"The city's garrison, a motley assortment of regular troops and militia led by Quebec's provincial governor, General Guy Carleton,"  It wasn't just British Regulars. 

Better the devil you know. And please, the Americans continued the trend of British exploitation on there own very, very well. Manifest destiny ring a bell?

Those collaborators also had militiamen, and that’s again the ones that stayed in Canada.

You say “invasion” and everyone else says liberation. They didn’t come to take Canada from Canadians, they came to kick out Redcoats from the Americas...

You can’t spin it any old way you want, fact is America was not picking a war with Canada, they were fighting against the British occupiers.

Just because you decided to jump on their jock does not mean you get to count their victory as your own when your own people also fought on America’s side.

• Haha 1

Oh now your trying to argue that! "Guys it-it wasn't the Canadians that kicked our asses!" It was the British! It was the British guys!"

Its quite pathetic. 

Dude I’ve been saying that since last page. And I’ve said it because it’s historical fact.

If telling truth is pathetic then I’m gonna be pathetic.

1 hour ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Dude most people don’t even count it as a Canadian victory, they count it as a British one, again because it wasn’t a fight with Canada.

-Yo

And in fact looking at the wiki page you quoted even they call it a “British Victory”, so.....

1 minute ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

-Yo

And in fact looking at the wiki page you quoted even they call it a “British Victory”, so.....

A majority of the forces within Quebec City we're Militiamen, so French Canadians or English settlers. Who we're on the British side. Since the fight was part of the revolutionary war it counted as a British Victory, but it was Canadians repelling foreign invaders from their soil.

A majority of the forces within Quebec City we're Militiamen, so French Canadians or English settlers. Who we're on the British side. Since the fight was part of the revolutionary war it counted as a British Victory, but it was Canadians repelling foreign invaders from their soil.

Foreign invaders? 

Jesus Christ, whatever my dude.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigBossBalrog said:

Oh now your trying to argue that! "Guys it-it wasn't the Canadians that kicked our asses!" It was the British! It was the British guys!"

Its quite pathetic. 

That’s a kinda significant detail when the debate originated from a U.S.-Canadian smack talking battle. 

• Like 1

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

At the fucking time of the battle, Canadians and American were the exact same fucking thing lol. Foriegn invaders :rofl::rofl::rofl: in 1775 it was just still a bunch of British colonial militia men and framers banding together in an “army”. Independence wasn’t declared until 1776 my dude.

Fuck:dntknw:

I don't get being proud of the fact that you let a distant government occupy you and use your country as a base to (unsuccessfully) try to occupy a neighboring country, all to enrich their lords and provide revenue for even more invasions. Like, woohoo- you won- but you were still bent over. XD

For all that, the Americans were just trying to assert their rights as British citizens, too, specifically the right to not to be taxed without representation in Parliament. They just didn't take no for an answer.

I like this scene from John Adams which shows how we kept our affinity to the UK too, just demanded it as equals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

America: Hey, we heard you’re still with UK... we know he does some awful things, we’ve been through it too. We wanna help.

Canada: Fuck off! That’s my man you talking about! 

*slams the door*

I can’t believe they’d try to separate us, Ill never leave your side boo.

UK: STFU and go wash my socks.

Canada: Yes daddy.

• Haha 3