Roleplayer's Off Topic Thread #24

Cross-RP Team Deathmatch  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• The Fallout CS characters, with their melee weapons, one suit of power armor, and four bolt action rifles between them, all high on skooma
    • The TES CS characters, with their melee weapons and no thu'um or AOE magic, all all high on Jet

54 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Sure, I especially wish they’d chosen someone younger. Her hair just doesn’t matter to me.

It’s like Tormund or Theon in GoT. Nobody hates them just because their hair is the wrong color, because it’s only mentioned like once in the books and doesn’t matter very much. If TV Ygritte had blonde hair, that would be dumb because her being “kissed by fire” is actually a significant trait.

Book Triss is more like Tormund or Theon in this regard than she is like Ygritte.

We'll have to disagree. To me she's a major figure in Geralt's inner circle. The Sapkowski books don't have thousands of characters like ASoIaF.

39 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Neither does the book. The real difference is Triss doesn’t have a big role in the books

She does, though. Show fans like to say this, but it's not true. She's in almost every book. She was the first person Geralt called to train Ciri, and stopped the witchers from feeding her mutagens which would have likely turned her into an androgynous monstrosity if not killed her. She was a major figure in the Lodge plot and was present in the Rivian pogrom when Geralt died. She's as much or more a character in the books as Dandelion or Zoltan.

3 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

Plus, if that isn't the case, then I default to my previous statement, which is most of the fans are fans from the games, so they should be catering to that. 

They’re the creators. They’re not intrinsically obligated to cater to anything. They could make it an absolute shitshow and that’s their right. Sucks, but they don’t owe game fans anything. Especially not when they’re working with the author instead of CDPR. 

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And if they aren't going by the books, Triss' being a big or small character in the book is doubly irrelevant.

The show, books, and games will all be their own things, for sure. But they claim to be adapting the books’ story so I would expect them to draw more inspiration from those than anything else. Good chance they’ll get a lot more wrong than some hair colors. 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

Just now, The Good Doctor said:

GoT’s ending being shit has very little to do with the characters’ appearances. It was just an example.

I clarified why I didn't care about the example beyond the ending being shit

1 minute ago, The Good Doctor said:

I could use others, like LotR for instance.

I still don't think it's a good comparison, again Witcher is far more focused.

Triss isn’t nearly as important in the books as she is in the games 

Again, irrelevant to the discussion.

2 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

her hair color is even less so.

In your opinion.

There is plenty to gripe about, but I don’t see the point of getting mad that they failed to adapt the unimportant hair color of a minor character, just because CDPR, a totally different company, gave her a larger role and a more iconic look in an alternate take on the universe.

They're redheaded in both the game and the book, and their character being important or unimportant is again irrelevant. Fans want her redhead, she's redhead in both game and book. Fans of Triss find it to be very important. CDPR may be a different company but its literally the reason this show is getting the publicity it is.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Which isn’t the same as the red from the games. 

Irrelevant.

"Even the hardest dick must go flaccid." -Colonelkillabee

1 minute ago, Celan said:

She does, though. Show fans like to say this, but it's not true

People have been saying this since long before the show was known to be a thing. She’s not like in the background all the time with just a few mentions, but she is much less significant than in the games, and there are much more noteworthy traits of her appearance than the hair. Like her age and her scarring (which the games left out despite it being the most noteworthy trait of all). 

It's always nice when your writing gets reinforced by the canon after you come up with it.

6 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Which isn’t the same as the red from the games. Which matters because the fiery red from the games is extremely memorable, like some one in a million shit that I’ve never even seen naturally and would turn the heads of anyone passing by. Chestnut red is significantly less noteworthy.

I would say "ginger" is very much like the games, and there's the fact that when asked to describe Triss, Sapkowski callled her a redhead. It's obvious he meant her to be on the red side of chestnut.

She's also described as blue eyed and pale, lest we forget the other things the show didn't bother to match.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celan said:

She does, though. Show fans like to say this, but it's not true. She's in almost every book. She was the first person Geralt called to train Ciri, and stopped the witchers from feeding her mutagens which would have likely turned her into an androgynous monstrosity if not killed her. She was a major figure in the Lodge plot and was present in the Rivian pogrom when Geralt died. She's as much or more a character in the books as Dandelion or Zoltan.

I agree with this but in comparison to the game her role is far smaller in my opinion. Not to the overall story, just to how front and center she is. She was at the very center of the conflict of Witcher 2 (despite being able to pretty much ignore her disappearance altogether of course), and in 3 she can even upstage Yen entirely and she's had 1 and 2 to be with Geralt without Yen at all.

edit: Not that it matters at all.

Cool. I think I’m done. 

We were going around in circles anyway dude, I had to mention her role being smaller or bigger being irrelevant like several times. And it is, what does it change when she's in fact a redhead in the books too? Why is that being ignored...

People have been saying this since long before the show was known to be a thing. She’s not like in the background all the time with just a few mentions, but she is much less significant than in the games, and there are much more noteworthy traits of her appearance than the hair. Like her age and her scarring (which the games left out despite it being the most noteworthy trait of all). 

It's likely that she was able to heal her scars over time. When she mentions in the books not wearing low necklines, it's not long after Sodden. It would take her longer because she is allergic to elixirs, but there's no reason to think her disfigurement is permanent, any more than Yennefer's much greater disfigurement was.

4 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

And it is, what does it change when she's in fact a redhead in the books too? Why is that being ignored...

Because the fact that she’s a chestnut redhead not being at all the same as the extremely unique red hair she has in the games is also being ignored. One is far more noteworthy than the other.

5 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

Because the fact that she’s a chestnut redhead not being at all the same as the extremely unique red hair she has in the games is also being ignored. One is far more noteworthy than the other.

The author himself called her a redhead, as did Yen. Ginger is pretty clear cut. Even if it's not as red, it's still red, which was my point from the very beginning.

Even if her hair was only as red as Tormund, that would've made me and others happy. I said that much too, hell I even said I'd have been happy with Chestnut brown with a tint of red. We didn't even get that. She looks nothing like Triss in any sense, and hair color in my opinion is pretty much one of the first things you're supposed to get right in a popular character. Books, games, doesn't matter, most people have either played the games or read and played both the books and the games, and the majority looked to seeing her as a red head in some form. Even the book nerds that read it three four times that saw the chestnut line.

14 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

I agree with this but in comparison to the game her role is far smaller in my opinion. Not to the overall story, just to how front and center she is. She was at the very center of the conflict of Witcher 2 (despite being able to pretty much ignore her disappearance altogether of course), and in 3 she can even upstage Yen entirely and she's had 1 and 2 to be with Geralt without Yen at all.

edit: Not that it matters at all.

Well yeah, agreed that Triss is front and center in the games in a way she's not in the books. But she's not an unimportant character in the books, either, like people keep saying. Also forgot that she saved Geralt's life and took him to Brokilon after Thanedd.

It's just frustrating to me that the showrunners obviously don't care about even the basic details.

Well yeah, agreed that Triss is front and center in the games in a way she's not in the books. But she's not an unimportant character in the books, either, like people keep saying. Also forgot that she saved Geralt's life and took him to Brokilon after Thanedd.

It's just frustrating to me that the showrunners obviously don't care about even the basic details.

Agreed she's definitely important even if not as front and center as she is in the game.

Ciri looks okay. Yennefer is too damn young. They even admitted they got a younger actress because they wanted to show her backstory. They should have gotten an actress who doesn't look like a junior high school girl, and had someone playing "young Yennefer." Geralt looks like Letho in a bad wig.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ColonelKillaBee said:

The author himself called her a redhead, 

If everyone says so I’ll take yall’s word for it. But I still don’t much care because her hair color doesn’t mean a thing to me outside the games. Yen’s or Ciri’s or Geralt’s would, because it’s actually treated as one of their particularly noteworthy features. But if that’s what bothers y’all, fine. I’ve got plenty of other shit to bitch about without worrying over traits that nobody would care about if not for the games. 

3 minutes ago, The Good Doctor said:

If everyone says so I’ll take yall’s word for it. But I still don’t much care because her hair color doesn’t mean a thing to me outside the games. Yen’s or Ciri’s or Geralt’s would, because it’s actually treated as one of their particularly noteworthy features. But if that’s what bothers y’all, fine. I’ve got plenty of other shit to bitch about without worrying over traits that nobody would care about if not for the games. 

I mean, in an interview he actually said- when asked to describe her- that she's a redhead. Just to clarify, I'm not referring to the books there.

To me the hair is simply the most noticeable thing, other than again, her skin tone and eye color and age. Like, she's female- that's about all they bothered to match. And if they can't be bothered to get that right, I'd say they don't care that much about depicting the books, unlike the show fans who are preening about how "these aren't the games!" Yeah, they're not the games, but the games did a very good job of depicting the main characters, so maybe they shouldn't brag about that.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Celan said:

Ciri looks okay. Yennefer is too damn young.

If they get later seasons, their daughter-mother dynamic is gonna be jarring if Yen doesn’t get matured a bit. I know she’s supposed to look pretty young, but still, that looks like a kid almost.

Which would be perfect for Triss. XD Who instead looks like she could be in her 40s.

Ciri is probably the one I’m the happiest with, followed by Geralt if only because I think Superman’s acting could still save him from the meh appearance.

unlike the show fans who are preening about how "these aren't the games!" Yeah, they're not the games, but the games did a very good job of depicting the main characters, so maybe they shouldn't brag about that.

I’m not a show fan. I’m as skeptical as anyone, but I’ll still “preen” about that because the games shouldn’t even be in the equation here. We may wish they were (I’d prefer it for sure) but it’s been made very clear that they aren’t, so why bother getting upset that they did things differently?

In my opinion the games overall did even better than the books in many ways, but whole they did do a great job, they still weren’t perfect in depicting all of the characters as they were in the books either. Ultimately, the show and games are gonna have some different priorities, and the show will probably get some shit right that the games didn’t, and vice versa. Or it will be trash that doesn’t even try. We’ll see.